Chapter 14

Jase is more than eager to drive me over to Hunter’s house today. In fact, I’m pretty sure this is the best Sunday of either of our lives so far. I swear this is going to be amazing and so liberating. It’ll be better than cutting.

I get out of the car and go knock on Hunter’s door. It opens and Hunter is there staring at me.

“Um, yeah?” he asks.

“Can I come in?” I reply.

“For what?” he questions. I realize then that he doesn’t recognize me. He doesn’t know that I cut and dyed my hair or pierced my lip.

“I need to talk to you,” I say.

“I don’t even know you,” he points out.

“That’s not true. Damn, Hunter, you’re losing it. Jase figured it out way faster than you did, and I’m not even his girlfriend. Although, he does have like, ten years on you.”

That’s when Hunter’s eyes grow wide. I can’t believe it took him this long to recognize me. Some boyfriend he is. He can’t even recognize his own girlfriend. That’s just an epic fail for him.

“What did you do?” he asks.

“Went emo. Don’t feel like talking about it. We’ve got more important fish to fry than my new appearance. Come on, let’s chat.”

Hunter opens the door wider and lets me inside. We go upstairs to his room so there’s more privacy about the conversation we need to have. I have butterflies in my stomach and I’m not sure if they’re because I’m so excited for what’s about to happen or because I’m scared shitless. It’s a combination of both, really, because it could definitely go in so many directions, and about three quarters of them involve my pain.

The lock on his door clicks and I realize that we’re in total confinement. The door is closed. The door is locked. His parents are in the basement watching a movie. They won’t be able to hear anything that goes on up here or get in if they were to show up. I’m not sure if I’m afraid of this idea or not.

“So, what’s up?” Hunter asks and sits down on the bed next to me. I can’t help but notice that his eyes won’t leave my snakebites, Bullet For My Valentine t-shirt, or Avenged Sevenfold zip-up hoodie that I’m wearing over it. He’s still having trouble taking in that I’m completely emo.

“Well, I have something to tell you, but I don’t think you’re going to like it.”

“All right. Shoot.”

“I don’t think things are working out between us.”

“W-what?”

“Well, let’s just start with the latest thing you did that I can’t stand. You went and fucking told my secret!”

“What?”

“YOU TOLD JASE, ALLIE, AND LYSS THAT I CUT!”

“No I didn’t! You did!”

“You said self-harm! If you hadn’t said that they wouldn’t have known anything! YOU TOLD MY BIGGEST SECRET!”

“They’re your best friends! They should’ve known anyways!”

“YEAH WELL THAT’S MY BUSINESS AND MY CHOICE WHEN THEY SHOULD KNOW! YOU CAN’T TELL PEOPLE MY SECRETS! HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF I TOLD PEOPLE YOUR SECRET?!”

“What secret?”

“THE ONE THAT YOU TOLD ME NOT TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT BACK ON CHRISTMAS! THE ONE WHERE YOU FUCKING HIT ME AND MADE ME PROMISE NOT TO TELL PEOPLE!”