Chapter 12

Thank you so much for 1,000 reads! Thank you for giving the the courage and inspiration to do something I am so passionate about 💘💘💘

After we picked all players for the veto competition, Paul and I decided to play chess upstairs to pass up time.

"Sitting ducks," I whispered sitting down and he nodded.

"Friendship," we bumped fist as he sat opposite of me.

I made the first move.

"Are you expecting everything to go as planned?" He whispered watching my move.

I nodded, "At the end of the day Bridgette and Da'Vonne will be up there."

After he concentrated on his next move he went, "Excellent." He did a fake evil laughing and made his turn.

"We are going to be sitting there, final two, laughing." I whispered and heard someone coming up the stairs.

"Straight chilling." I watched as Da'Vonne walked towards us.

"What's up Momma Day?"

She sat and and started whispering, "If she comes down... Plan B?"

I had to think for a minute, what was the 'plan b' that she would know about? Our plan b was Bridgette going home if Day didn't.

My eyebrows pulled together as I shrugged and looked over at Paul, "If she comes down?" He whispered and shook his head. "Don't put that out there." He spoke louder, "It ain't happening."

She nodded, "And have y'all talked to Nicole?"

I thought for a moment, "No not about anything."

She nodded and left us with a 'Talk to you later.' She interrupted our chess game for 'names' and it seems a little sketchy to me.

After we watched her walk down and away, "Sketch... I'm over it." Paul said shaking his head and I nodded.

• • •

I walk out into the backyard and it brings me back to miserable high school times. There are track lanes and sideways hurtles. I feel like this is definitely a competition I can't win that I need to win. The players not completing were sitting in benches and cheering us on.

"Hopefully Eye of the Tiger plays." I muttered thinking no one could hear but Paul starting laughing and I immediately got butterflies.

"Welcome to the 'Ready, Set, Whoa,' track meet..." Nicole went on to explain the game, the only part I felt like I would be good at is being able to tell what the word says faraway.

• • •