Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

3. Don't Wish Me Well

"Take care of yourself, Roman."

He stood motionless in the aftermath of her words; her voice staying with him even after she was out of view. Outwardly, he looked rock solid, holding his drink, and shifting his weight casually, belonging without meaning to - the way he always did. When his eyes lifted to the crowd, Cameron was approaching him, and he recognized the woman walking behind him. Tall in stature and presence, with pixie-short hair, and skin like rich mahogany exacting every eye's attention. Johanna Renois. Unlike Nina, she hadn't changed one bit.

"As promised. My creative director -" Cameron began his introduction as he positioned himself between them.
"Hello, Johanna," Roman smirked, and her onyx eyes narrowed at him.
"You two know each other?" Cameron uttered in surprise, and Johanna forced a smile convincing enough to fool almost anyone. She stepped into Roman's embrace, and pecked a customary kiss onto his cheek.

"We've worked together before," she explained briefly.

"I wish I had known. That's perfect!" Cameron declared. "So you're familiar with his work, and that means you already know how valuable he would be to our team. Which also means you can help me convince him to get on board."
He went on fervidly as he turned to Roman, selling his point in every gesture. "We've talked about hiring an in-house photographer. To maintain the exclusivity of our images, because the quality of the visual is such an integral part of the experience. I've been set on this ever since I came across your work a few weeks ago, Roman. I'm sure you're aware you have a reputation surrounding you, but mine is that I don't back down. I actually thought it would be a little more difficult pitching this to you, so we can't ignore this as a coincidence. You and Johanna are already familiar with one another. This is a partnership meant to happen."

Roman crossed one arm over his chest, and brought his other hand up to smooth over the hair dusting his face. "You said you were looking for an in-house photographer. I only do freelance work - "
"He has trouble working for people," Johanna interjected snidely, arching an eyebrow his way, daring him to refute the fact.

"I'll give you free rein, creatively," Cameron insisted. "But you would have to remain loyal to the publication for the duration of your contract."
"You want loyalty... From Roman Conway," Johanna could barely suppress her condescending chuckle, and Cameron looked between the two of them, wondering what he was missing in the tension.

"I'll consider the offer," Roman eased, patting the back of Cameron's shoulder.
"Please, take your time. Get to know the team," Cameron persisted. "This is just an introduction; us courting you, if you will. I'll leave you two to catch up, I think Johanna can be more persuasive here. This is important to me, and I don't want this to be born out of pressure. But know that you would be indispensable to us, Roman. We can negotiate something we can both be happy with."

Cameron touched Johanna's elbow before excusing himself, and she immediately turned hostile as she stepped into the space he left between them.
"You're not considering shit," she jabbed a bony finger an inch from Roman's nose. "Decline his offer tonight, and don't come around her or him again."

"You should have told me she was still in New York," Roman responded calmly, his composure provoking her further.

"It would have made no difference," she seethed through clenched teeth. "She wants nothing to do with you. She didn't then. And she doesn't now."
She was spinning on her heels to walk away, but she stopped, and her finger was back in his face once again. "Why do you do this, huh? It's been two years. Do you have any idea what she's been - "
She withdrew mid-sentence, taking a step back, fighting the urge to strike her palm into his face. "The moment she finally gets her life together, you appear out of thin air. To do what? Destroy her?"