Little Brother

A knock on the door made Shadow frown.
Little Sonic looked at Shadow's sour expression and raced to open the front door, hurt knee forgotten.
Shadow ran after him with a panicked look on his face, he hadn't planned on answering. He'd only just brought Sonic home, and so far the little blue hedgehog had tripped while running and crashed into the coffee table, which fell apart, climbed onto the counter in the kitchen and emptied the cupboards, and explored every nook and cranny of the place, usually leaving some sort of damage to whatever he touched. The place was a mess. And Shadow didn't need anyone thinking he couldn't handle taking care of the kid. No matter if it was true or not.
Sonic beat Shadow to the door and ripped it open, revealing a surprised looking Tails.
He stared down at the little hedgehog, confusion and astonishment warring on his features.
Shadow came up behind Sonic and toed him behind him, trying to hide him from the young fox's view.
"Tails? What are you doing here?" Shadow asked, pretending like nothing unusual had just happened.
Tails started, then looked up at Shadow. "I-I was just gonna ask you," he glanced down at the smaller hedgehog in the doorway. "A-ask you about the, the Chao Amy said you found and... Is that a baby hedgehog?" Suddenly the Chao he'd come to discuss didn't seem as important anymore.
"No!" Shadow snapped, then backtracked a bit when Tails gave him a weird look. "I mean, he's five, I think. So, technically, not a baby."
Sonic forced his way out from behind Shadow and looked up at Tails, frowning and scrutinizing. Finally, he seemed to come to a conclusion and smiled big.
Tails smiled back. Then seemed to think of something and he eyed Shadow suspiciously. "Are you in some kind of trouble?"
Shadow rolled his eyes and pulled the fox inside, shutting the door behind him.
"Cream wanted the Chao so I gave it to her, the kids not biologically mine, and stop giving me that weird look." Shadow growled, stomping into the kitchen.
Sonic ran after him.
Tails stumbled after the two of them, calling questions out, like "What's his name? And where are his parents? And what do you mean biologically?"
Shadow sat at the kitchen table, ignoring all the questions but one. "His names Sonic."
"Soooooo, what? You're babysitting?" Tails asked.
Shadow glared at him. "No."
Tails looked confused. "Well, what then?"
He seemed to be having trouble getting the word out, but finally, Shadow mumbled, "Adopted."
Tails' eyes widened. "A-a-ad-dopted?"
Shadow nodded.
Tails gulped. "Since when?"
Shadow looked down at Sonic, who was climbing up on a kitchen chair. "Officially today."
... "Wow, ok." Tails fell into an empty chair.
Sonic finally managed to scramble up on the chair and was reaching for the sugar shaker Shadow had left out that morning.
Shadow didn't stop him. And Tails didn't stop him. Both watched the little hedgehog unscrew the top and dump the entire contents into his mouth.
"Do you think that's bad for him?" Tails asked.
Shadow considered. "Naw, the kids already bouncing off the walls, what more could he do?"
Tails shrugged.
.....5 minutes later......
"Catch him!"
"You said he wouldn't do anymore damage!"
"No, I said what more could he do!"
The little blue hedgehog made a keening sound that could have been either a cry, or a laugh as he took off into the next room. The inevitable crash followed.
Shadow and Tails raced in after the little guy.
Tails had a net.
Sonic was literally bouncing off the walls now. All the orange fox and black hedgehog could see was a blue streak, everywhere at once.
"Give me the net." Shadow growled, snatching the net out of Tails' gloved hand. He watched the space in front of him, took a deep breath, and held the net up.
Sonic made a horrible squeal when he hit the net and instantly started struggling to get free.
But Shadow quickly closed the opening and took him into the living room.
Tails followed behind, a question forming on his lips.
Shadow set the squirming child on the sofa, but didn't let go of him.
"Whatcha gonna do?" Tails asked.
"Hold him till the sugar wears off, or until the next full moon, whichever comes first." Shadow said, without a hint of humour in his voice.
Tails frowned, not really impressed with this plan. "Maybe you should let him up." He suggested.
Shadow gave him a death glare that said: Who art thou to tell me how to punish this child?
Sonic whined and kicked.
Tails thought for a minute. He snapped his fingers. "I got it!" He rushed outside and came back a minute later, his fist closed around something. "Ok, now you can let him up."
Shadow stared at the object in his hand. Slowly, he opened the net and let Sonic out.
Sonic instantly rushed as far away from the net as possible, but stopped cold when Tails called out, "Hey, Sonic! I've got something for you!"
A streak of blue and he was standing in front of Tails, jumping up and down to get a look at what he'd brought. "What is it?! Can I see?! Is it cool?! Let me see!"
Tails chuckled and held out the object in his hand.
It was a small golden hoop that glowed.
Sonic reached for it but Tails wouldn't let him have it.
"What is it?" Sonic asked.
"It's called a power ring." Tails explained. "You can use it to do all sorts of stuff."
Sonic's emerald eyes widened. "Can I touch it?"
Tails shook his head. "Not till you're older."
Sonic frowned, then looked to Shadow. "Can I have it now, Shadow?"
Shadow quirked an eyebrow. "You heard him. Not till you're older."
Dejected, Sonic crossed his arms, staring down at the ring. Then he seemed to perk up a little and smiled an adorable 5 year old smile. "Thanks for showing me, Tails!"
Tails smiled back at the little hedgehog. "You're welcome, Sonic."