Chapter Three

Chapter Three

“Ye are certain?” Andrew roughly grabbed onto Dougal’s shirt, lifted him up to his eye level, so that he wouldn’t have to bend to speak with him.

“Aye, Laird,” Dougal gulped and then nodded.   “Tis the Campbell’s colours.  I am certain of it.”

Looking around the great hall, Andrew locked eyes with Marcus, a McKenna cousin, he trusted as much as he did his brothers, and nodded to him.  Marcus needed no instructions from his Laird.  He grabbed two clansmen closest to him and out the doors they went.

Releasing Dougal, Andrew patted him on the shoulders and sent him off on his way back to the look-out tower.   He turned now and looked at the concerned faces of his family.  His wife looked worried, for the Campbell’s were her family.  His brothers were concerned for their brother Robert and they knew that it must be Robert that was coming to see them.

Marcus returned quickly, a smaller Campbell soldier beside him, shivering from the icy conditions of the outdoors.   He led him straight in front of the fire where he could warm himself.   Emma, quickly taking on her roll of Mistress ran to get him something to warm to drink for the man was clearly not use to the storm that was raging outdoors.

“Drink,” Andrew demanded of him, wanting to get to the bottom of this unexpected visit but being patient enough for the soldier to warm himself and gather his bearings.  He watched as the man wrapped his hands around the goblet that held the warm liquid.  He opened his mouth once, twice, but nothing seemed to come out.  Once more he took a sip of the liquid to rid himself of the cold seeping into his bones.

Grant having no patience at all, wasn’t about to wait for the warmth to settle into the soldier’s belly before getting up into his face and demanding answers.  “Who are ye here with?   Why did you come?”

Ian placed a comforting hand onto Grants shoulder and gently pulled him back.   He turned to look at the man, who seemed to be warming up and getting some colour back on his face.   “Is our brother Robert riding with you?” Ian asked him calmly.  The soldier nodded and took another sip of the hot liquid.

“Does Lady Elise ride as well?” Andrew asked as he stepped forward.   Another nod and now Andrew was going to lose his patience if this Campbell didn’t start speaking.

“Laird and Lady Campbell?” Ian asked and watched as the soldier shook his head.

“Nay,” the man croaked out as he finally got voice to function.  “Nay, tis Sir Robert and his lady wife, their bairns and a score of soldiers who rode with us.”

“Why?” Grant shouted stepping around Ian, his patience clearly gone.   “What has happened?”

“No-nothing,” the Campbell stammered under Grant’s menacing glare.  “They have come for a visit, for Yuletide.”

“How far are they behind ye?” Andrew asked.

“Nay far, about an hour.  Perhaps less,” he answered.   “Just outside the village.”

Andrew didn’t have to say anything to Grant he was already running across the great hall, up the stairs to his chamber.   Ian wasn’t far behind and he knew his brothers had the same thoughts as him.   They would meet up with the Campbell’s and help them with Elise and the bairns.  They would need warmer outwear before heading out.

Finding Emma, Andrew cupped her cheeks in his warm palms, placing a tender kiss upon her lips.   “Have Robert’s chamber prepared and chambers for the bairns, love.”