Chapter Four

Chapter Four

As the days passed on, Angus regained his strength and was able to start having meals with his family.  Emma still made him retreat to his chamber for most of the afternoons to rest she still felt that he needed to take more time to himself so that he did not have a relapse.  If it wasn’t for his wife coming with him to rest in the afternoons, Angus would have defied his daughter-in-law only to spend more time with his grandchildren. 

“How long do you stay?” Grant asked Robert as he sipped his ale.   The evening meal was served and everyone’s bellies were full.  The tables were being cleared and the minstrels were taking up playing some ballads for all in the hall to enjoy.

“Until the snow melts, several months I suppose,” Robert replied as he rested his arms upon the table and looked over at Elise.  She smiled at him knowing full well they had already discussed how long they would stay and neither one wanted to venture back out and travel until the snow melted.  They would most likely travel back when spring begins to arrive.

“When ye journey back then, Kathryn, the bairns and I will join ye,” Grant announced so that all could hear.  “Kat wishes to visit her brothers, will we spend several months with them.   They have not met yet wee Gavin and his namesake wishes to see his nephew.”

“We will join ye as well,” Angus joined in the conversation.  He looked over at Catriona’s surprised face and put his arm around her.  “I believe my wife would like a visit with her family as well.”

“Truly Angus?” Catriona beamed, her eyes sparkled with joy.

“Aye,” Angus said as he kissed her temple.  “Tis time that we visit with Gavin and Jamie as well.  Twill be much safer to travel in a large party, with all the bairns, we can assist Grant and Robert.”

Andrew got up from the table and walked over to the front doors to the castle.  He grabbed a couple of cloaks on pegs and then brought one to Robert.   “Come out to the stables, tis something that I wish to show ye,” he stated as he started putting on his own cloak.

“The horses?” Robert enquired as he also pulled on his cloak and fastened the tie at his throat.

“Aye,” Andrew replied as he walked towards the main doors and grabbed a torch to light the way.  “Twas several colts born this past summer.”  

The two brothers walked together when a small voice stopped them.  “May I come as well, Uncle Andrew?” Elspeth shyly asked as she tugged on his cloak.

“Robert?” Andrew asked as he bent down to pick up his niece, handed the torch over to his brother.  Her shyness now gone with the family and she wrapped her arms around her Uncle’s neck to hang on tight.

“Of course my sweet,” Robert grinned and then ruffled her hair.  He reached to wear more cloaks were hanging and found one for her size so that she wouldn’t get a chill.  Robert knew how much his daughter loved horses so he wasn’t surprised that her ears perked up when the word horse was mentioned.   Tugging a bonnet over her ears as well, they left the great hall.

The stable was chilly, but not as chilly as the outdoors.  No stable boy was needed to tend to the horses in weather like this, but he did proceed to check on them throughout the day.   When they entered the stables, he was there mucking out one of the stalls.

“Murdoch,” Andrew called out to him.   “Finish up what ye are doing and into the castle ye go.   Have ye had your supper yet?”

“Laird,” Murdoch stepped out and wiped his brow from the sweat dripping.  Mucking out stalls was hard work.   “Tis almost done and aye, tis famished that I am.”   He noticed Robert then and grinned.  “Sir Robert, I heard ye were home for a spell.”