Chapter 1

IMPORTANT NOTE: Jaime and his family speak Spanish from Argentina, also known as Castellano. Some other characters are from Spain and may sometimes use different words too. 

*petiso = nickname for someone who is short/shortie

Phone Company - do not answer: You're quiet today. No bailing right? In or out? [Sent: 5:31 PM]

Jaime Lane took a deep breath, leaning his back against the wall of Lucky Thirteen, a local fast food joint. He looked at the trash bags on the concrete. With his luck, "Phone Company" was a psycho, and he'd end up stuffed in one of them after being cut into tiny Jaime filets.

Talking to and hooking up with a stranger? A male stranger? This was so not like him. Too many things could go wrong. For starters, the guy said his name was Al and that he was eighteen like Jaime, but it wasn't like Jaime could check. Hell, he'd told the guy his own name was James. It was a safety precaution, just like saving his gay internet hookup's contact information under "Phone Company." (Though that was mostly to stave off a snooping sister and friends.)

Lying was easy online. But in person...? He really should've been backing out. Instead, he found himself replying.

Me: In. I'm just at work, but I'm still in. [Sent: 5:32 PM]

Everything was perfectly arranged for tonight: his dad was working late, and his twin sister Olivia would be at soccer practice and wouldn't whine about wanting to use the car.

Jaime saw Olivia through the service window. She was sitting at a table inside, flipping through a magazine as she waited for her food. She often ate at Lucky Thirteen before practice because it was close to the fields. Well, that, and to take advantage of Jaime's employee discount while pretending to want to spend time with her dear twin brother.

Phone Company - do not answer: and how's the fast food business treating you? [Sent: 5:32 PM]

Me: Oh, the usual. It's like food Armageddon in here, my coworker's a totally unhelpful asshat, and I don't get paid enough to put up with any of this. [Sent: 5:33 PM]

He'd just finished cleaning up a literal explosion of fries drowned in ketchup and mustard. Jaime was pretty sure more ingredients had ended on the floor than in the bratty mouths of the kids at the table. Of course, the parents had only laughed at how adorable their spawns of Satan were.

Phone Company - do not answer: Lol. that deserves an ouch: [Sent: 5:33 PM]

Phone Company - do not answer: Ouch [Sent: 5:33 PM]

Me: Thanks, that makes me feel so much better. [Sent: 5:33 PM]

Phone Company - do not answer: Yeah? I can cheer you up even better than that. Tonight [Sent: 5:33 PM]