35: City

Their dogs were fed, rested, and straining at their harnesses. Hati, who had slumbered soundly throughout their stay – absolutely not worth the amount of anxiety he had caused – was still in his trailer, which they had reattached to the back of Ciara's sled. The pass had cleared at last and the little town was abuzz with activity.

"I'll come with you," Sköll told them. "Having an Outrider escort you to the Protectorate gates should help, at least a little."

"Sure – of course – I mean, you can travel with us for however long you want," Ciara stammered. Since their encounter in the alley, her tongue seemed too large for her mouth whenever he spoke to her. Since that day, Fell had kept them all busy securing supplies for the rest of their journey, and she had not found the chance to spend time alone with Sköll.

Tonraq was giving her confused looks.

Fell pulled her aside as they were readying to set off. "If he complicates things, you're going to have to get rid of him."

"How will he complicate things?"

"We can't talk freely about Hati in front of him. When we arrive, he might want to stick with us the whole time, and who knows how he'll react when he gets wind of the guardians? The Outriders have to put their duties first, remember."

"Why do I have to get rid of him?"

"You brought him to us and you're the closest to him. I don't care how you do it, but just be prepared. It's disconcerting how he's barely asked any questions about what we're up to, even when he saw the trailer. I think he wants to keep an eye on us."

"You just don't like him because he's an Outrider. Now are we going to get moving, or not?"

They made good speed through the pass. The wide road to the Protectorate was mostly flat and easy-going since the ice surface was covered in so much fresh snow. This stretch was full of travellers: sleds, reindeer-drawn carriages, sleighs, and lone riders; everyone taking advantage of the break in the bad weather to get to the great city.

They tried to give everyone else a wide berth, and Ciara scanned for the guardsman who had tried to ride Deni, but saw no sign of him. Would he report them to someone as being suspicious? No, now she was just being paranoid.

"There it is," Sköll called, his voice sonorous above the wind.

The city loomed, a dark blot on the horizon, and even looking at it from so far away, Ciara's chest began to close up.

That was the largest wall she had ever seen.

*

"State your names and business, and get your permits ready," the admissions officer at the desk said in bored monotone, adjusting his glasses without looking at them.

Ciara glared at Fell and Isa. "You didn't tell us we needed permits," she hissed.

"We're from even further north than you are," Isa retorted. "How should we know?"

"Don't say that like it makes you better than me."

Tonraq pushed in front of them and leaned against the desk.

"Look, my friend, we really need to get in," he said brightly. "The thing is, we've found Hati. You know, the Suzerain's decree to find the immortal guardians? We found the fire wolf. And as soon as he wakes up he's going to try incinerating everything in sight, so we really don't want to be hanging around talking about papers."

The officer gave him a flat stare. "Son, I've heard a lot of strange explanations and excuses in my time. People will say anything to get in. Now, do you want me to call the psychiatric ward, or are you going to leave?"