Part 3

In the blink of an eye, life has brought me away from my childhood. Away it went, from the boy with the white shirt, from high school, to college. Now, it was my best friend, Xin yi's wedding day. It was the day she'd say goodbye to the past, and to me.  From this day forth, we might never see each other again. Her fiance wants to move to America after they marry.

We both looked at each other rather teary eyed on that day. I neatened the ruffles on her long, white dress, and did everything I could do to make it perfect. At last, when there was nothing left to do, I tugged at her hair. It was something we did as children. 

We embraced. Whispering softly in my ear, she said, "I wish you the best."

"Me too." 

 She bawled. 

She bawled with a pain not understandable to strangers. Strangers, who didn't know us well. We were supposed to be inseparable. We were supposed to be sisters, best friends who would stay with each other forever. But one should never linger on the past and 'supposed-to-bes.'

I dried my tears and pulled away with a smile. Yes, I was going to miss her. But I needed to tell her, with this smile, that I was going to be alright-- that she was going to be alright. Life would continue to go on. 

I handed her a tissue. 

Then I heard it: a deep, echoing, warm laugh. The same laugh I had heard all those years before, that laugh I thought I'd never hear again. 

The door opened as if in slow motion. And that pure, intelligent kindness was still there in his eyes, unable to dim. 

He walked over. 

My heart ached. My vision became blurry again, as I tried to sob, tried to bawl, as Xin yi had done moments before. But it was Xin yi's wedding day, and one must not cry on wedding days.