Prologue - Five Years Ago

They say that time is the healer of all wounds, but can it really heal a heart that is beyond repair?

They claim that patience is a virtue, but what good is it if there's nothing worth waiting for?

Sometimes you have to hate the person you love so that you can delude yourself into moving on.

*********

The smell of over-used oil in the fryer and hot brewed coffee was sending mixed signals to Vanity's brain. She didn't know whether to be sick or just wide awake. After eight hours working her shift the diner was still packed, it didn't help that today of all days, Carol had called in sick. Not only did she have to struggle with her own tables but now she had to manage half of Carol's.

Yes, it was just another day in stress-ville, population of one and a slight chance of chaos around the corner.

She let out a heavy sigh as she listened to her next customer place his order. Her chocolate eyes travelled from the woman sitting on her right back to her companion.

They seemed like a nice couple. The kind that held hands, constantly smiling at a private joke, with their feet touching under the table. It was the perfect sight and final blow that made Vanity want to throw up instantly.

She gave them a faint smile as she quickly scribbled down, "Two Wednesday specials" and an "ice tea".

One more week and you're out, she thought to herself, walking back to the pick-up window.

"Table seven," Jason the chef called out sliding the plates onto the pick-up station.

"Thanks Jay," Vanity smiled and handed him the new order.

Her eyes roamed over to one of her tables, she noticed that the old lady with the crocodile skin bag was back from the toilet. She tucked her order pad in her apron before picking up the plates and walking over to her.

"One caesar salad, a side of fries, with lettuce and tomato on the side. Enjoy your meal," Vanity beamed placing the plates in front of her.

"Thank you, dear." The old lady smiled before picking up her fork.

Vanity made her way to table three and cleared the dirty plates of half eaten hamburgers and barely touched soda water. She shook her head in disapproval, some people had absolutely no respect at all. People were dying of hunger out there and others come and order food just for the sake of ordering food. Disgusting!

She pushed past the kitchen doors, and made way for the washroom with her tray and placed it on the sink. This was going to be a very long day, she sighed. She had almost forgotten she had classes tonight, plus she had her business communications test. Hopefully, Gina would make it here on time so that she could at least have an hour or so to go over her notes.

She couldn't risk a bad grade, not when she was risking everything to move out of this town and build a new life for herself. Reagan Field had brought nothing but tears and emptiness to her life. She wanted nothing to do with this place or the memories it held. They were nothing but a ball and chain, holding her back.

"Vanity dear? Oh! There you are!" Angela's voice snapped through her thoughts.

"What's up Ange?" she asked grabbing a plate and dumping the uneaten food into the compost bin.