Seventy One

Corey's POV- May 2017

I watched as Kat closed her laptop and Genetics textbook. She put the laptop in its slipcase and let out a sigh as she rubbed her arm. I had been released exactly a week after the accident, and it had been a week since she had broken out in a rash. She was covered all over in that rash, and her mom had told me it was stress. I felt really bad about being part of the cause of that stress. She not only had to worry about me, she had to worry about school, work and deciding what grad school she was going to be attending this coming fall.

"My face is itchy" I complained.

Kat smiled.

"Don't scratch or you will scar your face"

"I knew you were with me because of my handsome face" I joked.

She laughed.

"Darn, you caught on. The minute I laid my eyes on your hat covered face I knew you were the one"

I laughed.

"How much did you get done?" I asked.

She pulled off her hoodie and looked at me.

"About 90%, I'll get the rest done tomorrow"

She climbed up on the bed and looked at me.

"So I decided on a program"

I smiled.

"That's great" I said.

My arm pulsed at the sudden thought of Kat leaving to San Francisco.

"It was really hard and I never thought it would be this hard"

I nodded slowly and she sighed as she pushed her hair back. She shifted slowly and sat next to me with her body facing me.

"I called UC San Francisco"

I felt my chest begin to tighten and I looked down at my lap. She was moving to San Francisco.

"And denied their acceptance"

I looked at her and she looked down at her lap.

"I just don't see myself living in San Francisco, and USC is close to home. I could commute so I wouldn't have to pay rent. I was also offered a small scholarship at USC, and well I could use all the help I can get"

"Do your parents know?" I asked.

She shook her head and looked at me.

"No because they'd think I chose USC to stay close to you"

I had a good relation with her parents, but they always emphasized that school came first.

"They think I still have 2 more weeks to decide, and I don't want them to think your accident had any influence over my decision"

"That makes sense" I said.

She nodded and smiled at me.

"Something on your mind?"

She reached for my hand and squeezed it lightly.

"You can tell?" I asked.

"Of course, I am your girlfriend. I should know when you're overthinking something"

I smiled and nodded. She began playing with my fingers.

"What's on that mind of yours?"

I looked at her and let out a deep breath.