Chapter Thirteen

A/N: This is the chapter where we get to know more about Lauren, and there is a little angst, so be aware of that. I hope that you are well and thank you for reading! I wrote the first part of this chapter listening to Say Something, so feel free to give it a listen while you read.

Also, happy Camren day! Four years since the immortal "it's Camren yo" ♥

"It is if you're on probation!"

The words of Lauren's unexpected outburst hung heavy in the atmosphere. A lump rose in the agent's throat as she wondered if she could somehow reach out and pluck the confession from the air, erasing it permanently.

"You're what?" Camila gasped, pale complexion glowing in the dim.

"It doesn't matter," Lauren muttered, lowering her head so that her dark tresses covered the humiliation shining in her emerald orbs, "Forget I said anything,"

Slender fingers gingerly brushed aside Lauren's hair, tucking it carefully behind her ear, before delicately cupping her face. The pad of Camila's thumb stroked her skin comfortingly, coaxing her chin back up so that their eyes met.

"I don't think I could ever  forget a single thing you said," Camila breathed, instantly feeling Lauren's body heat up at her heartfelt admission.

Beneath her hand, Camila was painfully aware of how much Lauren was shaking. Her shoulders and lips were trembling as she fought to keep the anguish repressed and inside. Desperate to provide some kind of comfort, Camila wrapped her arm around Lauren's waist, pulling them closer together.

"Don't, Camz," Lauren croaked, shaking her head as the first hot tears began to spill over, "I know you want to, but you can't fix any of this,"

"Please let me try," she begged, "Oh God, please let me try,"

"How can I? What could you possibly do for me?"

"I'll listen, Lo, all night if you need me to. Just tell me what happened,"

"I don't think I can," Lauren sobbed, "I think I'm going to be sick,"

Visions of the Lauren that had arrived at her apartment when they had first met floated back into Camila's mind. She had been so gorgeously composed and in control. Strength had radiated from her very form, as if no force could ever hope to overthrow her. Yet, here she was now; seemingly defeated.

"Don't give up on me, Lo,"

Beads of sweat left strands of black hair clinging to Lauren's forehead as she broke down. The two women clutched one another as Camila found herself silently crying too, throat burning as she tried to keep uttering consolations. Lauren's head was buried into the crook of her neck, and she was gripping onto the other girl's t-shirt as if she was drowning.

Their bodies became so tightly knit in a ball of torment that Camila could no longer tell where Lauren started and she ended. All she could feel was frantic thump of her own heart trying to beat its way out of her body to reach the other feverish pulse pumping just inches away.

It took a long while, but eventually it appeared that the most violent sobs had relinquished their hold of Lauren. Only little tremors continued to ripple through her as she worked to regain her breath.

"How did we get here, eh?" Camila murmured, stroking the agent's hair softly as she began to settle.

Lauren managed a weak smile as she wiped away the salty tear streaks that lined her face.

"I'm not even sure that I know anymore,"

Sitting up slowly, Lauren stretched her limbs, easing out the stiffness that had settled in her joints. Camila watched the muscles in her arms flex with fascination, and swallowed roughly as her shirt hitched up to reveal a sliver of her toned stomach.