Chapter Thirty-Five

A/N: I really am sorry that it has taken me quite so long to have this update out, but it's here, and I hope it satisfies! All the best, and thank you again for all of your support. It means the world.

On her way out of the police station, Lauren met Officer Normani Kordei, who helpfully volunteered to drive Lauren to the hospital, and help her carry out the interview with the new mother.

"It's the least I can do," Normani shrugged, unlocking the car, and switching on the engine.

"I'm really grateful," Lauren said honestly, "I've had about an hour of sleep in the last thirty-six hours,"

"Are you in a fit state to be interviewing anybody?" asked Normani with concern.

"It has to be done," replied the agent, with a sigh, "I need to do it. I'll manage,"

"If you're sure," the officer responded, "Just don't pass out or anything,"

"I'll try my best," Lauren laughed.

They were driving down the main highway, headed towards the hospital, as Normani's phone began to ring. The mobile was sat on the dashboard, and Normani quickly glanced in its direction. Her face changed in recognition.

"I'm sorry, Lauren. Could you possibly pick that up?"

"Yeah, of course,"

The agent leant forward, and gave a smirk despite herself when she saw the name flashing up onscreen.

"It's your girlfriend," she teased.

"Oh, just pick it up, Jauregui," Normani shot back.

Pressing the green button, Lauren then switched the phone to loudspeaker.

"Hi, Dinah," she spoke, "It's Lauren Jauregui. Normani's driving,"

"I'm not actually calling for Normani," Dinah told her, "I'm calling for you,"

Normani's eyebrow arched, and she rolled her eyes.

"Should I take you off speakerphone?" Lauren joked, "I don't want to make your girlfriend jealous,"

"It's not my girlfriend you should be worrying about," Dinah said heatedly, "It's yours,"

A wave of nausea broke in the pit of Lauren's stomach, sending icy streams of panic rushing through her body. Her grip on the mobile tightened, and she held it close to her ear.

"What do you mean?" she demanded, "What's happened to Camila?"

"Nothing's happened to her," the Polynesian answered her tetchily, "But she's freaking out like you wouldn't believe! She hasn't had a single text from you since yesterday afternoon! The poor girl is starting to think that you've been killed or something!"

The cold panic began to be replaced by the burn of guilt. Digging into her pocket, Lauren found her own phone, and gave an audible groan.

"My battery died last night," she sighed, "I didn't have a chance to get hold of her,"

"The morning papers are full of some big police shootout in the Eastside trading area. That was you, wasn't it?" Dinah guessed correctly.

"Yes," Lauren said heavily, "But I'm fine,"

"And did you expect Camila to establish that through telepathy?"

"No! Just... I've had such a long and busy night, and..."

"I don't give a shit!" Dinah snapped, "Judging by the state I found Mila in this morning, she had a long and busy night crying about whether you were lying in a ditch with a bullet through your head. You of all people should know what that kind of worry feels like,"