Volatile Chemistry Part 20

Dominic stepped off the elevator in the corporate offices to find Tarrant standing in the area between the bank of elevators and the reception desk, holding a folded newspaper.

"What the hell is this?" Tarrant lifted the paper. "I knew I should have crushed her like a bug when I had the chance."

"Tarrant," Samantha clung to his arm. "Don't overexcite yourself. You know how the media can be."

"What's going on?" Dominic held out his hand and Tarrant gave him the paper.

The headline smacked him in the face—Hardcastle Hijinks: Heir in Secret Affair

Dominic squinted then read it again.

This was not good.

"Your girlfriend is what's going on," roared Tarrant. "She put a story in the paper about how I screwed her poor genius father out of his life's work. It goes on to add that she's blackmailing my newfound heir to keep her secret, seducing him with sex while she develops her scheme to sue the company." Dominic scanned the front page article.

Damn. He wasn't exaggerating.

'"Flamboyant egomaniac?"' Tarrant slapped at the paper with his fingers. "That's defamation of character. They're damn right someone's going to be getting sued around here."

Dominic reread the final paragraph.

Tarrant Hardcastle's empire has long been the flagship for luxury retail. Known for his ruthless treatment of competitors and friends alike, the thrice-married ladies' man is famous for a heart as flinty as the Manhattan bedrock. Now terminally ill, the flamboyant egomaniac has laid his empire open to siege by placing his trust in an illegitimate son he once rejected. So anxious is he for dashing retail maverick Dominic Di Bari to take his place at the helm, that he can overlook anything, even dirty dealings beneath his nose that strike at the heart of the Hardcastle empire.

"How did they get this information?" Dominic glanced up.

Tarrant's aqua eyes glinted with fury. "You're asking me? You know how. From that Mata Hari in white polyester you convinced me to keep on even after you found out she wanted to sue me."

"No." Dominic looked back at the paper. "Bella would never do this."

"You're blind. Of course she did. Who else would know enough?"

Dominic glanced at Samantha, who shrugged, her shoulders tense.

"Mr. Hardcastle," the receptionist behind them spoke up. "You wanted to know when Miss Andrews arrived. Sylvester said she's just entered the building."

"Wait until I get my hands on that little—"

"Tarrant!" Sam plucked at his sleeve.

"Let me talk to her," said Dominic. "Give me a few minutes and I'll see what she knows about this. She won't lie to me."

'That's what you think," muttered Tarrant.

"Let him try," pleaded Sam. She turned to Dominic. "We'll go into your father's office. Bring her there when you're ready."

Dominic took the elevator down to the lab. He got there first and was standing outside her elevator when the doors opened. He couldn't help a rush of excitement at the thought of seeing Bella, even in the current crisis;

As expected, she was a breathtaking vision. He tried not to be distracted by the fitted black dress she wore with a demure strand of pearls. "Have you seen this?"