Introduction

"Congratulations, Alfred. You're a father."

Alfred stopped eating and looked up at his husband, cheeks full. Arthur's face was solemn, and he was looking at Alfred, expecting a response.

Alfred polished off his hamburger and gave Arthur a nervous smile. "Um, you know, April Fool's Day isn't for another few months," he said, sheepishly.

Arthur's face didn't change. His viridescent eyes stared at Alfred, still dead serious. Alfred averted his eyes, a blush creeping up his face.

"Um," he gulped. "So you're not joking?" He reached for another fry. Arthur sighed, and walked into another room. He came back carrying a small bundle. Sitting down next to Alfred, he placed it on his lap.

"Say hi to your daughter," he said.

Alfred looked down and stared right into a pair of huge, amber eyes. A tiny face peered at him, adorned with a small nose and rose-red lips. Alfred let out a tiny shriek and choked on his french fry.

"Ah-ah-" he stuttered, glancing at Arthur. "She's OURS?"

Arthur rolled his eyes. "Yes, Alfred," he replied. "She's a mix of the two of us. Her name is Felicia."

Alfred was still dumbfounded. "How'd that even happen?" he asked incredulously. "Can a guy even get- er, how did you deliver-I mean, how did you hide your-" he was cut off by a sharp glare from Arthur.

"It's over," he said firmly. "Focus on the present." He placed his hand on Alfred's cheek, forcing him to look straight at him. "Wether you like it or not," he hissed, "We're parents now. Step it up." He glared right into Alfred's watery blue eyes, daring him to object.

Alfred pouted. "Look, man," he said. "I'm in no condition to raise a child. We're still recuperating from 9/11, and our financial situation isn't stable now." he paused. "I don't have any time."

Arthur lowered his head. "Oh, baka," he whispered. "I don't think any of us are fit to raise a child right now," he agreed. "I'm sorry for getting you into this."

Alfred smiled sadly. "We need to find another family that can take her in."

Arthur nodded. "She will be a state, most likely, and it's possible she'll grow at a faster rate than kids her age. We need a family that can accept her differences."

Alfred said nothing, but lowered his face down to the child's and pressed his lips against her forehead. Her skin was soft, and warm, and she gazed up at him, her eyes wide.

After thinking for a moment, Alfred's eyes lit up. "I know just the family," he said. "They live in Queens. They know who I am."