Change [Simon James]

Requested by Turntabl-3

//

Simon James walked briskly into the entrance of his work for the millionth time in his life. It was just an ordinary Tuesday morning. Today, he would get off at five in the evening. He would go visit his mother at the home. When he got hungry for dinner, he would stop by that diner and brave the cruel waitress and eat whatever he felt best to serve him.

He dug his hands into his pockets as he walked. A sigh left his lips as he realized that he didn't have his card with him. That would be all right if his coworkers recognized him. He'd been working in this building for seven dull years, just hoping that someone would know him. No one ever does.

"Excuse me," the man behind the desk said. "Are you the new employee, sir?"

"New employee?" he asked. "Uh, no. No, I'm Simon James. I've worked here for seven years."

The man shrugged. "I don't think I've ever seen you before."

"Never seen me before---?" Simon cut himself off and sighed. His hands shook as he leaned close to the glass. "My name is Simon James, and I have worked---"

"Hello," a voice said. Simon looked over at the ordinary looking girl who stepped right up next to him. Hair was tied back, free of any makeup except for a light pink shade of lipgloss, and still managed to catch his eye. "My name is ___, and I'm the new employee. And he's with me."

A smile touched his lips as you turned your head to wink at him. You both were let into the workplace. You had a skip to your step as you approached the elevator.

"Thank you," Simon whispered.

"Huh? Oh, it was nothing," you assured him. You looked him up and down, a sly smirk on your face. "You're not new here, are you?"

"No," he answered. "How did you know?"

"Your suit is dusty," you whispered. The elevator doors opened. You walked in first, and Simon walked in after. He stood perfectly still at your side. "Why do they think you're new?"

He pursed his lips together and looked up at the ceiling. "It seems that I'm invisible."

"Invisible?" you pressed. "How fun."

"Not really," he breathed. 

"Well, Simon James..." Simon blinked in surprise; you remembered his name? "You're not invisible to me. I can see you just as clearly as you can see me. And perhaps that means that we should be friends."

He nodded. "Yes. Yes, I think we should."

"Oh, good," you replied. The elevator doors opened with a metallic moan. You skipped out. Although this was Simon's floor, too, he found himself frozen. You laughed lightly and stuck your arm out to hold the doors open for him. He blushed as he stepped outside. "I have to talk to Mr. Papadopoulos. I'll see you around today, then."

"Yes," he said, much braver this time. "I'll see you."

With a small wave, you turned around and headed towards the offices. Simon watched you go the entire time as he wondered how someone so beautiful could notice him.

//

He was typing away, just letting his fingers do all of the work. It had been a while since he had taken a break from work. His throat was dry. Pushing himself back from his desk, he rose to his feet and stepped out of his cubicle. A few of his coworkers were walking up and down the aisle.

Still, he could see you right away.

You were holding a sheet of paper in your hands. He called your name and raised his hand. Only you looked up to see him. A grin spread across your face and you waved, stepping off to the side of the room to wait for him.

"Hi, Simon," you greeted. His heart fluttered at the sound of your beautiful voice. "I was just on my way to get copies."

"I can show you the way, if you'd like," he offered.

"That would be great," you said.

"Are you enjoying your first day here?" he asked. You nodded. "The work is hard, but it's rewarding."

"Is it?" you asked, raising one eyebrow. You snickered and shrugged. "I guess it is. I mean, it's incredibly dull here. In fact, your eyes are the only colorful thing I've seen in this entire town! They're such a beautiful shade of blue, Simon. How do you find color in this place?"

He smiled at you. "I don't have to look for it anymore," he whispered.

You blushed and looked down. "I... I want to thank you for being so kind to me. For helping me, talking to me, letting me know that everything is going to be okay. I... thank you. It means a lot."

"It's my pleasure," he said. The kindness in your voice gave him a new spark of bravery that was foreign to him. "Maybe we can go to dinner tonight. I know a place."

Your eyes lit up. "Sure! Yes, yes, I would love that. My refrigerator is actually empty right now, so I was going to have to go out alone. I'm so glad you asked."

"Me, too," he said.

You stopped in front of the room. "Well, I'd better get these copied. I'll see you for dinner tonight? Around... seven? Is that a good time for you, Simon?"

He slowly nodded. No one had ever asked him what would be best for him. For years, it was just his boss, mother, and coworkers that told him what to do and when to do it. And now he stood before a beautiful woman, a new friend, who just showed him a selfless act that he wasn't used to.

"Simon, I am so looking forward to dinner tonight." You smiled, reached up, touched your fingers to the front of his dusty suit, and kissed him on the cheek. Simon's lips parted as he tried to process his shock. Amused by the look on his face, you turned around and walked into the room.

Simon turned right back down the hallway. When he made his way back to the dingy cubicle that never felt like his, he skipped cheerfully. No one noticed, and for once, that was okay.