Chapter 2: Hospital

After some time the doctor walked in, Dianne Burks. She introduced herself to the agents and to Maisy and asked if it was okay for her to check the girl for a fever.
Maisy hid scared.

"It's okay, that won't hurt" JJ said but Maisy didn't look up.

"You can do it on me. Do you want to try?" The doctor said and the girl looked at her. "Wanna try?" Doctor Burks asked again. Maisy just stared.
"Can you sit up?" The doctor asked and Maisy sat with JJ's help. "Here, just press this button and do this" the woman explained and handed it to the girl. Maisy picked it up and did as told.
"See. It says here if I have a fever or not" the doctor explained. "Can I try on you now?" She asked and Maisy gave her a nod. She took the girl's temperature and she had a slight fever.

"So what's your name little one?" The woman asked but Maisy stayed quiet so JJ answered "It's Maisy"

"Wow that's a pretty name" doctor Burks said. "And how old are you, Maisy?" She asked.
This time Maisy held up 4 fingers.
"Oh you're a big girl" the woman said with a smile as Emily and JJ smiled too.
Maisy still looked scared and tensed.
"Did you hit your head at all today, sweetie?" The woman asked and Maisy shook her head no. "Are you hurting anywhere?" She asked and Maisy shook her head again.

"She was in pain when she walked" JJ said and Maisy looked down.

"It's okay Maisy. We are here to help" Doctor Burks said. "Can you tell me where it hurts?" She asked but Maisy stayed quiet. "Can you show me?" She asked and Maisy put her hand on her belly.

"Maisy, do you mind if I check your tummy?" Burks asked and Maisy stayed silent. "Can you lay down?" She asked and the girl laid back down. The doctor opened the jacket up and saw a lot of purple bruises on the child's tiny body, some were old but some looked very recent.
She went to touch Maisy's belly and the girl moved away.
"It's okay sweetie" she said but Maisy squirmed away and stared crying.
JJ didn't think twice and scooped the girl up. Maisy rested her head on Jennifer's shoulder and just kept crying.

The Doctor went to get a nurse and JJ said "Just give her some time".
Emily looked at her in a bit of a shock. That had happened before with another child and the doctor got a nurse to help hold him and JJ didn't do anything about it but now she was walking around the room rocking Maisy.

"Shuuu it's okay. They won't hurt you. They just want to help" JJ kept saying.

After sometime the little girl calmed down. JJ placed her on the bed but Maisy held her tight.
"Maisy, you need to let them see if you have owies that they can fix" JJ explained. Maisy shook her head no. "I'll be here the whole time. I won't let them hurt you" JJ said and Maisy looked at her. "I promise"
Maisy laid down on the bed and stayed quiet as the doctor examined her. She flinched a few times and cried a little but let the lady look. When it came to her private area, the doctor knew it would be hard. She could see there was some dry blood on the girl's thigh and she knew how it probably got there.

"Maisy, I need to take your underwear off now, okay?" Doctor Burks said. Maisy's eyes widened and she took her knees to her chest.
"It's okay. I just need to look" Burke said but the girl didn't move.

"Maisy I'm right here" JJ said holding the girl's hand. "Emily and I are here and we won't let them hurt you. They just want to help. I promise" JJ said.

The doctor touched the girl's leg and Maisy let her lower them. "Just looking" the woman said. She opened the girl's leg apart a bit and Maisy flinched at the touch. The girl hid her face on JJ's leg.
The doctor examined Maisy and just by looking at her face Emily and JJ knew.
"She'll need a rape kit" Burks said.

JJ took a deep breath to calm herself down. She was furious at those people. How could they do that to a child, to a 4 year-old.

Doctor Burks got what she needed from a drawer and went back to the bed where Maisy was. "Sweetie I'm gonna need to see if there are more owies here, okay?" The woman said as Maisy's eyes filled with tears again.