Chapter 9

There were two black vehicles pulled up the following Sunday in front of our home.

They were parked by the front door. Rain dribbled from the dense grey clouds above.

Nova and I stood on the sidelines on the front steps.

Frank carried a suitcase in one hand and an umbrella in the other. He followed my mother down the stairs. Jack was securely wrapped in her gentle arms.

After they reached the bottom of the steps, the next sadly departing couple came down. Liam and Minga's actions were the same as my parents, only Minga wasn't holding a child.

Frank led my mother to the first vehicle. Minga was led to the second.

I watched as both men coincidentally stuffed the luggage in the trunk at the same time.

Liam shut the trunk first, followed by Frank. Bidding ado to their beloved, seeing them for possibly the last time. Jack was sleeping on my mom's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Ellie. It was never supposed to be this way. I just wanted us to have money. I just wanted to give you the things you wanted and deserved." He stroked her cheek.
I had never seen my father so heart broken.

"Frank, all I ever wanted was you." She brushed a strand of hair from his face. Jack began to become more antsy in her arms, awaking himself from the nap. He looked up at the umbrella covering him.

"Mom, where are we going?"

"We're going on a vacation, sweetie."

"Is dad coming?"

"No, sweetie. It'll just be you and me this time."

"For how long?"

His small words made such an impact on them. They looked as if they were both just stabbed in the heart.

"We'll see." She put him in the backseat and strapped him securely in his car seat.

"His luggage?"

"In the house, by his bed."

Frank went in to find it. It was time for Nova and I to say our prolonged goodbyes.

Minga, My mom, and Jack were all dressed in black, as instructed by my father. I suppose riding in a tinted black window vehicle wasn't enough. But if it helps protect them, I'm not one to argue.

"Goodbye kids. Stay strong." My mother weakly said, taking turns hugging us. She sounded like her life was being sucked out of her and she'd never be happy again.

I couldn't tell if it was a raindrop or tear, but something wet rolled off my mom's cheek in the middle of our embrace.

I didn't want her to let go. She was the symbol of pure kindness. Something that didn't exist much anymore. She was a good person who deserved so much more than the life my father had given her.

"Be good, Nova. Be strong, Will. I'll see you both soon."

She kissed my forehead and slid next to her son in the back.

We told our goodbyes to Jack as well. He looked confused.

Frank shoved the trunk in the back, and went over to talk to his wife one last time.

Nova and I backed off for Frank to say goodbye.

This wasn't goodbye forever, I told myself. This was only temporary.

Nova and I watched Liam's final departure from Minga.

They were holding hands. It was rather sweet, actually. I wondered if I would ever care for someone as much as they cared for each other.