Chapter 1: We Love You

Thursday 10 am

It was a Thursday like any other, the 20th ward beaming with life. The sound of chattered filled the air as many made their way aboutshe . Back at the Kaneki residence, Touka was getting dressed for the day, her husband was doing the same.

"Ken." The she-ghoul called, slipping on some jeans.

"Hm?" Came his curious reply, as he adjusted the cuffs on his long sleeve.

"Do we have sufficient coffee or are we running low?"

"I don't know, last time I checked, we had only one container left..."

"Hm, then we'll have to go the store then."

"Take Daisuke with you, I'm sure he'd love the mini trip to the supermarket."

A small chuckle ensured, "I reckon he will."
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Daisuke held onto his Mother's hand, happily humming as they strolled down the side walk; Touka keeping an eye open for any doves. To others, they would seem like you average mother and son, at least, to the humans. He released his grip and ran for the glassed doors, giggling as he ignored his mom's pleas.

"Daisuke!" She huffed, once reaching her son. "What did I tell you about running off like that?"

"Sorry mama," He sheepishly apologized, giving a cheeky grin that made her regret the scolding. Placing a hand to his chubbiness, she pressed her lips to his forehead.

"Come on now." She gently smiled, offering her hand as he happily took it, entering together.

Daisuke scrunched up his nose as a repulsive stench hit his sense of smell and recoiled in disgust. However, he knew better and acted as if nothing happened. He was warned that his visible discomfort in the supermarket would surely attract unwanted attention.

He followed the she-ghoul around the store, light purple hues scavenging through the many variety of human goods. He always did wonder the taste but he never mentioned it to his mother or father; he already was aware that his species were unable to digest regular food.

He and his Mother arrived to the aisle where coffee brands were lined up. Touka cupped her chin, looking for the Blondie brand , though she wondered why her husband loved it so much.

Pondering for a good minute, she shrugged. Daisuke meanwhile slipped away, and wondered about. Although he had been here many times before, he still enjoyed discovering—too caught up in the mini wonderland, he didn't notice he had bumped into someone.

"I'm sorry." He apologized, rubbing his nose as he tilted his head upwards.

"No, no, it's alright." Came a soft reply. It turned out to be an old lady.

Daisuke sent a grin, blissfully unaware of four set of eyes watching him closely.
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
They were being followed, she could feel it. Touka had found her son after he wandered, which resulted in scolding. They eventually ended up at the cashier, and paid, exiting the store. She picked up her pace—much to the boy's confusion—he gave a slight tilt of the head, he asked.

"Mama? What's wrong?"

Damnit.

"Oh nothing! I'm just excited to get to :Re!" She smile; a strained one. He didn't buy it. His mama was lying and he knew it. This caused a frown to form on his face. Touka dragged Daisuke through the crowd, purple hues darting from left to right, looking for an escape route, or simply an alley way—something!