Chapter 1

Josh pov

It was a perfectly normal day at NYU. I had just finished up all my classes and was headed to my dorm in the cold fall-weather. With my books all piled up in the backseat of my car I opened my phone, three texts from Maya.

"Hey, can I come over?"

"Are you in class still?"

"I can't come over tonight, apparently I have to study."

I chuckled as I scrolled through the texts. She was the same Maya, the same amazing Maya. I went home, not thinking so much about it. Studying in college were hard, I didn't understand how hard when I started but as time moved on I learned how to make time to study and have a pretty social life. During my free time I usually hang out at my brother's place. Tonight I didn't feel like that, maybe because Maya wasn't going to be there.

My dorm was a small room with just the stuff I needed the most. Because of the Matthews I usually just studied and slept here. It was where I slept but it was not home, not yet at least. My roommate had moved out before summer. He had decided that he wanted to live with his girlfriend and even though he theoretically still lived here, he had not been back yet. Not that I cared, I did not really know him that well.

True thing is, it was pretty hard to live alone. It wasn't the cooking or the cleaning that was the problem, it was just the feeling of not have anyone to wait for me when I came home. I shouldn't complain, I know I'm a pretty lucky guy. It just gets boring after a while.

I heard people laugh and jump around outside. It was this party tonight, I don't know if I want to go. I usually think it is pretty boring without Maya by my side, but the idea of sitting all alone in my dorm a Saturday night was worse. Maybe I should give it a try at least.

It was after dinner when I went out to search for the source of all the noise. I know that if I found where the music came from then I would probably find the party too. Walking towards the outside of campus I found my way down the street until I stopped to listen against the wall of one of the buildings. Yep, it was definitely here. As I walked in the party was in full action. Dancing and beverages of God knows what everywhere. I had already decided to not drink tonight, it was just plain stupid for me to do that. Especially since I wasn't in the best neighborhood and I probably had to walk to come home.

The evening was fun, not amazing, but it was sure better than sitting home all day. I danced and talked to people and tried to not notice all the girls interested glares towards me. I had already decided to not date anyone until Maya turned eighteen. I wanted to show her that she could trust me. As fun it was, it was not worth it if it meant that I would maybe loose Maya.

As the night moved on I got a text from Maya:

"Hey, I sneaked out but you weren't at your dorm, where are you?"

I answered:

"I'm at this party in the shabby neighborhood down the streets, come join?"

"Sure! I'm on my way!"

:She instantly replied and I couldn't help but get some butterflies in my stomach. It always happened and I don't think it will go away anytime soon. I did not know everything that would go down that night as I happily continued to jump around with my friends.