No Knead Bread

This recipe is originally by Jim Lahey and published in the New York Times. I love it because little prep work is involved. Mix it all up, let the dough rise overnight, and bake to perfection in the morning. On top of that, extra flavors can be added on a whim. Dash in some Italian seasoning for something savory. Or shred in some cheese and parsley. This recipe is simple and versatile at the same time.

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour, more for dusting

1/4 teaspoon instant yeast

1-1/4 teaspoons salt

Directions:

1) In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast and salt with a whisk. Add 1-1/2 cups of warm water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at least 12 hours (overnight) at room temperature.

2) Preheat oven to 450-degrees Fahrenheit with dutch oven inside.

3) Lightly dust work surface with flour. Roll dough onto surface and lightly dust top with flour. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for 15 minutes.

4) Shape dough into a ball and put into hot dutch oven. Cover with lid and bake 30-minutes. Remove lid and bake another 15-30 minutes. Loaf is done when knocked and it sounds hollow. Cool completely on a rack.