1

"You okay?" A voice huffed. I opened my eyes and saw him hovering over me, his face covered in dirt. Between the broad shoulders and blonde hair it was easy to see what he was, a Nord.

"Where am I?" I began to sat up but a searing pain in my head forced me back down

"Where am I?" I began to sat up but a searing pain in my head forced me back down. "Woah there, you had quite the blow to the head." The man helped lay my head gently on the hay on the cold cement floor. "To put it shortly, jail." He scoffed and sat down next to me, crossing his arms and leaning up against the wall of the cell. I looked out through the bars and saw two men wearing blue and copper armor. "I didn't do anything wrong." I stammered out. My head was pounding and it made it hard to think straight. "You think I did?" He gasped, feigning disbelief. I squinted at him in confusion.

"I just got here." I mumbled, wondering if this was just a dream. "You picked a bad time to come to Skyrim, elf." He kept his voice low. "We're prisoners and soon we'll be soldiers."

I sat up, ignoring the pain that shot through my head. "For what?" He nodded towards the guards, "The Stormcloaks." "The what?" I shook my head, trying to remember how I got here. His expression turned somber and he placed a hand on my shoulder. "There's a civil war going on in Skyrim right now, the Imperial army versus the rebel army." I didn't know much about politics but I knew the Imperials wore red—not blue. I whispered back, "And we're..." A huge man wearing bear-parts atop his armor peered into the cell with a grin on his face,

" A huge man wearing bear-parts atop his armor peered into the cell with a grin on his face,

"Ah, new recruits. Just when I thought things were getting boring." He laughed a deep throaty laugh before walking away.

"On the side of the rebels." The Nord finished for me as we both watched the man disappear through the barred door at the other side of the room.

A guard walked over to the cell door with a tray of food and water, and unlocked the door placing the tray on the floor by my pile of hay. "You're finally awake." He seemed cheery but I was on the verge of tears. "Eat this, your head will feel better and we need you in top condition." He turned to the Nord. "Looks like you met your cell mate. Don't get too attached, we move people around a lot based on their strengths" he looked back at me "and weaknesses." I took a bite of bread and it crunched like rocks. "There ya go, elf. You'll do just fine." He locked the cell door again and walked away, but turned around and came back. "Welcome to Windhelm, soldiers. We thank you for giving your lives for this cause." He flashed a smile before leaving through the same door as Bear Man.

"We've gotta get out of here." I whispered and he nodded. "We will. I promise."