Chapter 3

Paisley didn’t get home early enough last night to pick out Coco’s name so the next afternoon, Paisley, Rachel and Spencer sat on the  couch and I sat on the floor in front of the coffee table, all of us having our own ideas on what Coco’s name should be. I was voting very strongly for Coco, Rachel was going for Mabel, Paisley was going for Piper, and Spencer didn’t really have a preference.

“Why are you here?” I finally ask Spencer.

He shrugs his shoulders, “Moral support, I suppose.”

Paisley and I both roll our eyes as if it was on cue, “Mhm suuuuure,” Rachel jokes, “moral support. We do know moral support means you just came cause you knew we’d have pizza.”

He shrugs his shoulders yet again, and its extremely obvious that Rachel and I are right. I take another bite of my pizza before telling them we’ll use the one that we like the meaning of the most. Rachel’s doubtful that Coco even has a meaning and Spencer just shrugs. Why is he even here if he could care less? I pull out my Macbook and begin to google name meanings.

“It says here in French Coco means.... a pet name,” I roll my eyes at the lame definition, “how is that helpful? But in Spanish it’s an abbreviation of Socorro meaning help. I guess it could be like ‘HELP COCO!!’” I laugh, and Paisley frowns at me.

“Just look up Piper.”

I frown at the meaning, “It means flute player, Paisley, our dog isn’t going to be a flute player.”

She points at me saying, “You never know! She could be really talented.”

I swat her hand away from my face and type in Mabel. I click the first website that comes up and I read aloud, “The Italian meaning is, beautiful, loving, lovable. The American meaning is pretty much the same and the English meaning just reduces it down to lovable.”

Finally, Spencer has some good advice, “I think Mabel has the best meaning.”

“You’re not just saying that to get all of this over with?” Rachel asks skeptically.

He shakes his head, “no, I genuinely like the name meaning. Piper is an interesting meaning, even though dogs can’t really play the flute, sorry babe.” Paisley rolls her eyes but doesn’t protest against his opinion. Spencer then adds, “Plus, why would I be in a rush to get this over with? I’m getting free food.”

I sigh, “Okay, fine, Coco is off the list. But it’s just you guys that don’t like it.”

As Rachel gives me a look and I knew nothing good was about to come out of her mouth. Somehow it was totally obvious she was about to ask me what David thought. I try to tell her no through my thoughts, but she either didn’t really catch my look or she just ignored it. Sadly, it was probably the latter.

“What about-” She starts and I cut her off.

“I think we have some dessert or something to bring out, right Rachel?” I interrupt.

She gives me a weird look, “uh, no. As I was saying...”

“I think we have dessert or something. Let’s go look,” I repeat, grabbing her arm and yanking her into the kitchen. “Rachel! What. Are. You. Doing. We don’t need them knowing about David! You aren’t even supposed to know!”

“Why would you hide him from us?” She asks in disbelief.

I roll my eyes and throw my arms down, feeling the slight stinging and hearing the loud clap as my hands hit my thighs forcefully. “I barely know the guy. I don’t know how much I like him in general and I don’t need you guys already planning our wedding.”