Chapter 8

Dinner passed quickly and Sienna enjoyed it, but was definitely more excited for going out with Archer afterwards. Once they were all dismissed from dinner, Archer grabbed Sienna’s arm and took her out to the gardens. They walked in a comfortable silence for a while just enjoying the scenery and each others presence.

After a bit they sat down on a concrete bench in the middle of the garden. The large shrubbery surrounding them made Sienna feel like they were off, secluded in their own world. Archer was the first one to break the silence, “So, Sienna, tell me about home.” His eyes searched her face but at the mention of where she came from pain and frustration flashed in her eyes. He went to take it back before she shushed him.

“It’s all right. I’m gonna have to be comfortable talking about it sooner or later,” she took a deep breath and continued, “I have two best friends, Paisley and Rachel. Rachel has a little brother named Riley who’s in love with me and Paisley is dating a guy named Spencer. He proposed to her last night when I was supposed to be at that thing with my friend David. He had told me while she was getting ready.” Tears welled in her eyes the longer she talked, but they didn’t dare spillover, “David is a guy I met at a coffee shop, we met again in my apartment complex so we started hanging out more. I have an older brother named Alexander, Alex for short and a puppy named Mabel.”

Archer smiled, glad that she was comfortable with sharing all of that. “Thats a cute name for the puppy.”

She let out a short laugh and dabbed at the tears in her eyes, “Rachel picked it out. She’s really cute. Mabel, that is. Now its your turn, tell me about yourself, Archer.”

“Oh, well I’ve grown up in Bianna my whole life. My parents travel sometimes, ya know, being the King and Queen and all that. Aspyn and I are left in charge when that happens, but Aunt Rosaline does a lot of the work, telling us what to do while they’re gone. Willow is nine, and obviously she’s my cousin. I don’t have all that many genuine friends, many people are here because I’m a prince.” He let out a genuine laugh that made Sienna smile, “Aspyn has been a pain my whole life, being younger than me by a year and a half. Oh, and we have a cat named Hazel.”

Sienna cooed, “Aww I’ve always loved cats. They’re adorable.”

Archer laughed again, “I think it’s a woman thing. All the women love cats.”

“They’re better than men,” Sienna stated, matter of factly. “That’s why.”

He clasped his hand to his chest, acting offended, “Well rude.”

Sienna giggled and offered him an apologetic smile. She turned her attention from Archer to the sky. As the sun was setting, streaks of yellow, blue and purple swirled around in the sky. The clouds that were thick and fluffy just two hours earlier were now fading into the sunset and becoming darker, less happy. Rays of light shone from the sun, but that was all Sienna could see over the large shrubs surrounding them. A shadow was forming on the ground from the shrubs and the purple flowers that speckled them were turning a darker purple without the sunlight hitting them directly.

As well as Sienna, Archer was admiring the sky, too. He noticed how interested she was in and, once he was able to rip his eyes from marveling in her beauty, he watched the sunset. It wasn't long before he looked back to Sienna, watching the delight in her eyes. The sparkle that danced around showed him it reminded her of home. He tried to be interested in the sky, but all he could think about was getting to know her more.

Finally Sienna tears her stare away from the sunset and looks at Archer. Her expression, which was already calm, softened even more. Then she giggled nervously, “can I ask you a stupid question?”