Hide And Seek

"It's me. Marco."

I lifted my calavera mask, revealing my face. Brown eyes, black suit and red tie. No horns, markings, or wings - mortal.

"Marco?" Star's voice rang.

A glimpse of her that night - hair neatly made-up in a bun, a headpiece with horns, pink short dress with a single shoulder strap.

A damning voice from behind broke through the sequence.

"That dance was meant for me!"

Tom's voice.

Inverted, narrowed demon eyes approaching.

I was shoved, struck by a force that sent me gliding across the ballroom floor.

Rapid flames grew, howling, and crackling. It was spreading, crawling so close, yet it wasn't that that made me flinch and inch further back.

It was his approaching presence. Every step he took, he left a path of fire in his wake. He towered over me, looming over my slow, retreating form.

Above us, the Blood Moon was waning. Its red light was being swallowed back up, until there was nothing left of its shining beacon.

...

Dark, jagged nails digging through the dirt.

New limbs, steadily rising, unfurling - wings.

A blinding migraine, tears blurring.

Above, the sky was an ugly red.

A string, cut.

A bond, severed.

...

My wings faltered and my descent back to the ground was clumsy. I practically fell upon landing, feet stumbling and knees buckling. I met the ground roughly, staggering to get up.

I took one last sparing glance up at its dying statue, trying to catch my remaining breath.

I had forgotten, but the Blood Moon - it forgot nothing. It remembered everything.

I hauled myself back up onto my feet, making a break for the exit. My body fell into the door and the commotion rang out into the hall.

My ears were pounding. My chest stung. I swallowed the thick air. Something moved in the corner of my vision and my eyes shot up.

Tom was in the corridors, staring out of one of the tall windows. His eyes met mine.

Great. He definitely just saw that.

Though, whatever humor he probably saw, he did not show it. I had left myself vulnerable, open to his ill-humored, snarky remarks, yet nothing in that moment became of him. He stared blankly, no reaction. Not even a snicker. His face was stuck, no expression. No judgment, just observation.

It was almost like he was in a different moment. Though his eyes were staring directly at me, they were absent, as if he were looking straight through me.

His eyes dropped, searching the floor now.

I brought my knees up and curled into myself, sitting up against the wall. For a long stretch of time, it stayed that way - still and quiet. Then, he mumbled the first sound.

The corridors were desolate, causing his voice to carry off the walls.

"What? You expecting an apology or something?" His tone was rigid and agitated.