Chapter 42

~ Nico ~

His head was still buzzing. He felt like he was going to die. But at least he would die with Will's kiss on his cheek. He stared at the ceiling trying to figure out what had happened, and trying to kill the grin on his face, as everything sunk in.

Will Solace was gay.

Will Solace liked him.

Will Solace was his boyfriend.

His boyfriend.

For once in his life Nico really couldn't stop smiling.

He rolled over onto his side, what had happened to the Nico who had only come here for a statue, a statue... a statue. He took a deep breath, what had happened to the little boy who loved Mythomagic, his sister and Percy? Some part of himself told him that part of him died, but he wasn't so sure. He remembered what Jason had told him, We don't find new love because we've forgotten the previous one, you know. We're forgetting the old one because we've found a new. He understood that now, in the past he'd liked Percy now, it was Will. There was a reason he could talk to Percy without freaking out.

But Jason's words had meant more that just that, he meant that everything changes, sometimes for the best, but sometimes not. He loved Hazel, his sister, but he hadn't exactly forgotten Bianca, no. He still loved her, but he had come to terms with her death. He hadn't forgotten the statue Bianca had given him either, no, he would never. But he had found a new anchor to hold onto, Will Solace.

Jason's words probably had a totally different meaning, but he couldn't dwell on that. Because he was, for the first time he could remember, happy.

He smiled to himself as he got out of bed and walked across the room, to the dark wooden chest of drawers, he opened the third drawer down and very carefully, with the tips of his fingers, felt along the edge of the inside of the drawer. He found what he was looking for and pushed down, something clicked, and whirred. He moved his hand back and counted to three in his head, when he put his hand back in he felt the box, the same one he'd stored, so it would be safe, there at the end of the Titan war, before going to camp Jupiter.

With ginger hands he lifted it out and placed it on his bed. He opened it slowly, carefully. And there it was, the small, golden figurine of Hades, the last gift Bianca had given him. He studied it. Then he pulled out the rest of his mythomagic cards, he didn't know why he had kept them, but he had.

Then he set it down, and reached across the the bedside table, he opened the drawer and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen. He sat down cross legged on the floor and began to write;

Dear Naomi,

Thank you for everything,

He paused trying to remember the conversation he had had with her in the car on the way to the train station.

When I told you about my sister something clicked, Lyra, she reminds me of myself as a kid, before my sister went to the underworld. But she's just so happy, smiling. I want her to have this. I use to be that happy all the time, then Bianca died, and everything changed. I don't want that to happen to Lyra, or you, or Chris. I'll protect your son with my life, even if that means death. I want Lyra to grow up the way I should have, happy and with family. This entire message sounds corny and terrible, I'm sorry.

Nico di Angelo

He folded the letter carefully and and grabbed another piece of paper;

Lyra,

Happy Birthday! I'm really sorry that Will and I couldn't stay for it... Anyway, I hope your enjoying Harry Potter. Once your done we can watch all the movies together!

But this is for you, they were mine when I was a little younger than you. I'm giving it to you because I think you'd like it. (also you should have a complete set)

I'm also including some of my cards, ones you don't have. So that you can compete in tournaments properly. We can enter one together some time if you'd like. I hope you have a special day!

Nico di Angelo

He folded it and wrapped the gifts then he stood, and walked away with them.

* * *

He knocked on the door, and then opened it and stepped inside, Charlie looked up, "Will isn't here, he's at the infirmary."

Nico smiled, "That's fine, I was looking for you anyway."

She raised an eyebrow, "Really?"

He nodded, "I was wondering if you can make oragami owls?"

* * *

Once he finished explaining his idea, Charlie smiled, "Nico, you know... most kids wildest dream is to get a bajillion cards and presents on their birthday, but you just raised the standards. Big time."

He smiled as she pulled out a piece of paper and started to fold it, it was amazing to watch. Once she was done she mutter some words under her breath and the owl grew to the size of a regular owl. She pulled out a sharpie and started to draw, carefully adding details. Once it was complete she stepped aside, "Volia! Hedwig."

She plucked the letters from his hand, along with the parcel, and tied them all together with some string. Charlie took a step back to admire her work, then she leaned over the paper creature and started humming softly, slowly, as if waking from a long peaceful sleep the owl began to move. Slowly at first then faster, until it was flying around the room in circles. She laughed and called it over, it perched on her shoulder as she tied the package to it's legs.

Then she sang, in a soft voice,

"Close your eyes. I know what you see. The darkness is high. And you're in ten feet deep. But we've survived, More terrible monster than sleep. And you know i will be here, to tell you to breathe..." she trailed off suddenly, "sorry." she muttered.

"What?"

She shook her head, "Nothing. No. Never mind." across the room the paper owl landed gracefully on the ground and seemed to fall asleep. She walked over to it then looked up at him, smiling. "But that's okay, I know just the right song for this occasion!"

Nico smiled as the owl gave one final hoot and flew out of the window. Charlie grinned at him, her green eyes sparkleing. "You know what, I think that you'll make a fabulous father."

He raised an eyebrow, "What makes you say that?"

She shrugged, "Don't know. I just have a feeling."

He smiled at her again and turned to go, his hand was on the doorknob when it turned under his palm and the door opened, and suddenly he was facing his boyfriend.