Phase 8

Maddie stood behind the curtains, a nauseous feeling now creeping up her stomach. She felt as if a million tiny pins were jabbing into her abdomen.

"Now," the announcer boomed, "please accompany me in welcoming act number 274, Maddie and Chloe, with Unsteady!"

A smattering of applause came from the audience as both girls took their positions on the giant stage. The duet went by in a blur and before they knew it, it was over. They exited the stage, their fingers entwined.

"Maddie! You were incredible!" Chloe said, her face lighting up with joy.

"Thanks, Chlo. So were you." Maddie replied with much less enthusiasm.

"Mads? Did I do something wrong?" Maddie could hear the hurt in her voice, which was now noticeably less perky than usual.

"No, it's just," she sighed, tears welling in her eyes, "why'd you kiss me?" She half-whispered, half-cried.

"Because, Maddie. Because I love you." She spoke, her voice beginning to break.

"You-you do? Really?" She smiled.

Chloe nodded.

"Chloe, I love you too. I don't want anybody but you." Maddie chuckled and moved closer to her.

She pulled the older girl behind the curtain and kissed her again. She smiled into the kiss and felt Chloe's hands move from her cheeks to her hair, then down to her back. Chloe broke the kiss and stared her in the eyes.

"I don't know how I waited that long." She commented with a bright smile.

"Me neither." Maddie returned the smile.

As they walked back to the bus, Maddie added, "Don't forget to wipe my lipstick off of your face."