Chapter 5

The glass doors slammed behind them as both women ran back to their Jeep, their knives and guns making soft clicks as they came into contact with their belts. As they neared the vehicle, Eleni pulled out her keys and unlocked it, earning a brief honk. They ran to the back, and opened up the rear to shove their stuffed bags inside. After throwing them back in and packing up the rear leather seats, they shut the hatch and ran back to the driver and passenger doors. Flinging the doors open, Eleni didn't even wait until they had their seat belts on before hitting the gas and revving the engine.

They didn't know where they were going, but they would find out soon as Neri's hand reached for the radio again. She flicked it on, and began to mess with the stations for a second time.

"Do you expect music?" Eleni questioned, smiling.

Neri shook her head, but laughed. "No, I don't know... I'm just looking, I guess. Or entertaining myself. So far, it's the latter."

Eleni chuckled, and stepped on the brakes to avoid some debris and fallen trees.

"If you want..." the radio crackled.

Eleni's eyes locked on the radio. "Go back, I heard something again."

Neri nodded, and began twisting the knob slowly, changing the stations gradually for the correct tuning. Her forehead creased in concentration, and the Jeep pulled over to the side of the road.

"Here, let me help," Eleni offered, and punched the console like before.

There was a sharp squealing, and then voices could clearly be heard.

"...come now. So far, we think we're the last ones. If there's anyone hearing this, then listen carefully."

Both of their eyes widened, and pressed their lips together in anxiety. Neri turned it up as much as the vehicle allowed.

"We have a shelter. All the survivors, from what we know, have managed to come here. There's a wall that separates us and them, and we can guarantee safety." The person, whose gender was indistinguishable, cleared their throat. Wherever they were sounded quiet and safe, because the growls of the Restless were not present in the background.

"We have limited food, but enough to sustain us for a long while. The army is here too, Canadian and American. Now, if you want to find us--"

The radio cut out. Their jaws dropped, and Eleni began launching her fist into the knob again. "Not now, not now!"

"...in Ottawa. The remains of Ottawa, Canada's capital. It's next to the Great Lakes, and the near Niagara Falls. Come here, if you can. We need everyone we can find," the person finished. "Come to the ruins of Ottawa."

The radio cut out, and a dull buzz took over the air. Eleni and Neri exchanged glances, before jumping out of their seats and tackling each other with hugs. There was a safe place on Earth, they weren't the last.

"There's a chance for us!" Neri exclaimed into Eleni's hair.

"All we have to do is get there!" Eleni yelled back, her lips spread in a huge grin.

She turned back to the wheel with newfound confidence, and pulled out into the suburban highway again.

"We're gonna live, we're gonna live, we're gonna live," Eleni chanted over and over in a little tune. "Where is Ottawa?"

Out of Eleni's disorganized console, Neri pulled out a map book of Florida. She stretched it out and tried to flatten the creases of the pages, and turned to the first page. A map of the United States was printed on it in a dull green, labelling the States. Neri's grey eyes looked it over, and then she asked, "Did you grab a compass?"