Chapter 6

The Restless took a step forward, and began to trail after the women that stood in the flickering light of the gas station. Behind it, there was another mob of Restless, slowly beginning to encroach into the illuminated parkway. The women, oblivious to the undead audience behind them, began looking at their map to see the way that they'd come. It growled, louder this time, and Eleni gave a glance over her shoulder before turning away and waving it off as fatigue, not actually seeing the Restless.

The dozens behind it grumbled, and began clawing at each other when the girls came into sight. They pushed and shoved, dashing forward and trying to gain an advantage above the others.

The first was pushed forward within several feet of the women, straight into a pool of gasoline with a dull thud. Both of the girls heard it, and jumped, before turning and muffling their shrieks.

Neri turned to run, grabbing Eleni's arm, but this time it was Eleni that was frozen on the spot.

"Eleni!" Neri yelled, tugging on her wrist to pull her as the Restless began to get up after repeatedly falling over the gasoline-covered one.

"ELENI!" she shouted again desperately, and finally snapped her out of it.

Eleni began to shuffle back, but refused to run. She instead grabbed for her shotgun that was tucked in her waistband, and pointed it at the soaked Restless that was crawling towards her at a rapid rate, its jaw broken and suspended by a single piece of flesh.

Neri backed up, and wrapped her hand around the gun. "Eleni, don't shoot! There's too many!"

She didn't listen. The fear both of them were experiencing launched her into a nearly shock-like state. Her arms were kept steady, and she pumped the slide before placing her finger on the trigger.

Neri tried to lower her arms, her grey eyes wide and begging. "Don't shoot!"

Her finger squeezed the trigger.

The bullet flew with a huge bang, and skimmed past the Restless' shoulder. Neri pulled Eleni again, finally dragging her against her will as she realized what was about to happen next. The bullet struck the pavement, lighting a small shower of sparks in the puddle of gas. Fire immediately roared up, and began to consume the gasoline that webbed across the ground.

"RUN!" Neri screamed, and Eleni obliged.

They both turn to sprint towards the ditch, before the fire could become any worse. The Restless that laid in the pools also became alight with flame, and squealed and shrieked as it melted their eye sockets and bony fingers. They still came at a steady rate, willing to chase after the duo even when they were covered in the furious blaze.

Flames began to crawl and lick the gas pumps that had lost their pressure, before igniting them. Neri glanced over her shoulder to make sure that they'd make it in time, but she wasn't sure about either of their safety anymore.

All the pumps lit up, and there was a small crackle before the deafening boom that rattled the air. Neri and Eleni jumped into the ditch, debris and orange fire flying over them, and missing them by mere inches. The heat scalded them as it exploded in towers of flame behind them, and they both covered their heads with their arms as they hit the blackened grass. The explosion continued to rock the air, while Eleni and Neri stayed huddled in a fetal position against the slope of the roadside ditch. When the vibrations and cannonade of inferno died down, they both cautiously peered over the edge of the highway.

Charred pillars and body parts were strewn about, at irregular intervals in the same area where the gas station used to be. All the Restless had been blown to bits save one, which had only its legs blown off and pulled its abdomen across the ground with entrails gliding behind it. Flames and burning coals were still scattered across the area, and burned brightly.