Chapter 5

11:30pm

We arrived at a gas station but at this point there was barely any to even fill up on. Almost everyone had left, fleeing for the country so they would be safe. It was a nation-wide crisis. Anything could happen as they said. Andy told me to look through the gas station's store for anything we would need. I nodded at him because I mostly didn't want him to yell at me. Whenever he would yell, I felt so innocent and young, like he was the parent and I was the child and I'm not talking in a dirty way. 

I scanned the aisles for anything that we might need. I walked through each of them, keeping my hand on the knife I had in my pocket that Andy let me have. I had to be able to protect myself and I did it back at my home so I knew that I would be able to do it now. 

I heard a shuffle from in the backroom and lifted my head up to it. I pulled my knife out in front of me and walked towards the noise. I couldn't just leave that noise alone, it could anything. It could be anything really. I kicked the door open with the front of my knee and scanned the backroom. I heard another noise and walked slowly to it. There was another door leading out to the back of the store. I pushed it open and aimed my knife at the thing.

It was just a dog.

I let out a slow sigh and quickly grabbed the door before it could close all the way. I went back to the front room and started to take some snacks. I took two water bottles and a bag of barbecue chips. Those were my favorite since I was a child. I never really got to have them because according to father they were unhealthy. I didn't care at that time because I thought he would just say that because he got tired of spending so much money on it. I used to always sneak out during lunch in middle school to get those chips and I would share it with my group of friends. I wonder how they are doing?  I'm guessing they might be dead, but I can't assume the worse I guess. Be positive. That's what I've been told. As long as you're positive, good things will happen.

I haven't seen much good things happening lately. 

"Wynter!" I heard Andy yell from out of the store. The door opened and he walked in with an annoyed look. "What's taking you so fucking long? You know we can't stay in the same place for too long. They could track us down. Do you know nothing?" he badgered at me and I winced.

"I was thinking...I just wanted to think..y-you don't even let me think! All you ever are to me is mean! I just wanted a second to think! Can't I just have a minute alone, god damnit!" I have never cursed before. I couldn't even believe I did it. 

Andy stood there and he slumped his shoulders slightly and shut his eyes. He took a deep breath, realizing what I said. He just turned away gritted his teeth then said,"Let's just get going." He left the store without saying another word and shut the door violently behind him. 

I sighed in relief and slumped my shoulders. I walked out behind him and reached out for his shoulder.

"I didn't mean to make an outburst like that. I'm just tired of you treating me like a child. I can take care of myself!" I told him and he eyed me.

"No you can't. You couldn't even look at the man I shot. You keep thinking like this is some sort of game and that everything will be okay in the end. Here's the thing." and Andy got into my face, real close. "It doesn't get better after this. It took a whole month for the country to get back into shape after the purge. A whole damn month. You realize that!? Maybe you're just to idiotic to realize that." he yelled in my face.

"Fine, I'm done." I muttered and threw the water bottle in his face. I lifted my bag over my shoulder and began to walk down the road. Andy raced up to me, calling out from behind.

"What the hell are you doing?" I heard him yell, but I ignored him and continued to walk. I wasn't going to let some jerk like him get to me. I'm an independent woman and I can take care of myself. I briskly walked and I heard the motorcycle turn on. The engine roared up to me till he was at a slow pace next to me. 

"Get the fuck on, Wynter." Andy demanded with annoyance in his voice. 

"No." I answered, not even bothering to look at his face. 

"Wynter." he repeated my name.

This time I took a turn, running into the forest as fast as I could. I ignored his yells and continued to run. I ran until my feet hurt, but even with it hurting, I continued to run. I just wanted to get away from everything.

 This world, my thoughts,

 Andy. 

I felt my foot begin to loose grip and I slipped. My body tumbled down the hill, hitting each of the trees. My hair was all over my face and I continued to roll until I was stopped by a huge tree. My vision was blurry and my head was in pain terribly.  I couldn't see, it was like my vision was completely out of whack. I stared up at the dark sky as the stars began to become brighter and brighter. I couldn't move my body. I was stunned from the pain that I didn't even feel myself getting picked up until I noticed my surroundings start to move. I shut my eyes tightly, trying ti ignore the pain that was coming from my head.