Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“Let’s start with basic history of our kind. We can branch out from there.” Kain starts, and I nod in reply, eager to learn more about myself and my kind.

We were sitting comfortably in velvet-lined chairs in an elegant private jet specially catered for us. I wasn’t sure how such a noticeable luxury jet wasn’t noticed by the Dragos, but it sat well with Gabriel –whom I discovered was the most uptight about security amongst the small gang with me –so I guessed it was alright if I was carted off to somewhere remote in high-class seats.

“We vampires were created by the Moon Goddess, just as how lycans were created by her too. Legends go that Moon Goddess created the lycans by fusing her two favorite animals –human and wolves –together. The lycans bred amongst themselves and there were lots of internal strife. The Moon Goddess thought it was natural for a new species to fight amongst themselves, but soon the fighting began to interrupt with the lives of the other species. Lycans brought their fights into towns, and people were killed as a result.

No one was left to worship the Moon Goddess, and she began to get weaker with the little blessing and prayers she got. As a last resort, she created her ultimate weapons to stop the fighting of the lycans. She took men, and she equipped them with fangs and a thirst for blood –blood of the lycans. She gave them superstrength to manhandle the strong wolfmen. She gave them superspeed to outrun the lycans. She gave them mind control –in hopes to convince the lycans, with conviction, to stop fighting.”

“Let me guess: Vampires.” I added obviously.

“Yes. Vampires.” He confirmed, taking a glass of wine from the passing air stewardess. “She created one, but we bred and amassed our own army. We followed the Goddess’s instructions and tried to make the lycans listen. They wouldn’t; so we killed. But the Goddess’s mistake was repeated. She chose to equip these skills in men, who were the smartest, but the most evil. We massacred the lycans, and enslaved the surviving ones. Then, we began to make our own species thrive. We began to change the humans. It was our time of reign. The vampires began to believe that the Goddess helped to kill the lycans to take over the world.”

“Hey, let’s not forget the mages! We helped.” Ren interrupted, poking his head across the aisle from his seat. He was sitting beside me with the aisle between us, and had been interested in looking at the clouds go past up till now.

A flash of irritancy flitted across Kain’s face, but he calmed down again, taking a sip from the wine.

“Yes, the mages helped. Mages were humans who studied their surroundings carefully and began to manipulate it. They enlisted help from external sources, one of which was the Moon Goddess. The mages knew that the vampires were on the rise, and didn’t dare revolt.”

“Not exactly. We were more of the laid-back kind and didn’t want anything to do with your minor disputes. We could have whipped your ass upside down whenever we wanted to.” Ren interrupted again, seemingly to find enjoyment to know that he was irritating Kain. It amused me quite a bit too, though Kain didn’t seem to appreciate it.

“All the same, the mages joined as our aid. Then, like any species; we began to seek power and control our own way. At that time, there were two vampires who were the best of friends, but also the strongest. Drake and Lucifer. Drake was a mage-turned-vampire. Lucifer could summon demons, spirits and devils to his will. They were raised together, competed on friendly terms, and were like brothers.”

“What drew them apart?” I blurted, getting caught in the story telling.

Kain gave the ghost of a smile. “A woman. You were named in honor of her. Her name was Sephina. She was a human, but she fell in love with both of them. She lay on the bed of Drake, but her heart was with Lucifer. Her lips were on Lucifer, but her heart was with Drake. They found out about her dilemma and forced her to choose between them. When she could choose neither, they agreed to duel to the death. Whoever who survived would take the woman and the rest of the vampire species.”