1

when he saw her, he first thought he was having another hallucination. It was three in the morning, after all.

he blinked, pinching himself.

she still stood there, across the street, looking at the house where he lived. 

where they had lived.

"Remus."

"Ashlynn, please."

he closed his eyes for a full minute. 

she was still there, but she couldn't be.

"I love you. Understand that. I love you more than anything in this world. I need you to carry on without me when I'm gone, okay?"

he had been there, he had seen her, just two minutes before she died. 

footsteps.

"Here they come."  

He had kissed her. 

"Remus, go back under the cloak and don't come back until they are gone. Apparate away if you need to." 

and then he had left.

so how was it that the love of his life, whom he had all but seen killed, who had been dead for five years, was standing outside?

Sighing, Remus pulled on his jacket, exiting the small home and approaching the woman outside. 

"Ashlynn?"

The girl turned. Indeed, it was her, looking just the same as he remembered. At the sight of him, she burst into tears. 

"Remus!" she cried, throwing herself onto him in a bone-crushing hug. He squeezed back just as tightly, crying into the blonde hair he'd always loved. 

"Ashlynn, oh my god, how are you here?"

"I wanted to come home. It's a long story," she mumbled into his shoulder. It was then that he noticed that she was freezing dressed in the same old sweatshirt that she had left in and jeans that were obviously taken from a second-hand store. 

"Let's get you back home. You need to be in our house, with your own clothes on," he said, clutching her hand as he led her back into the house. 

Once she was taken care of, back in her own pajamas that she loved so much, he pulled her into bed with him. They lay under the covers, and he rubbed slow circles into her back. 

"Ashlynn?"

"Hmm?"

"How are you alive?"

And thus began the story. 

"After you left, I knew I had to get out of there fast. I wasn't actually intending on dying in there; I'd said my goodbyes just in case. 

Anyway, when the evil lunatics came in,  I had already defended myself. Enhanced shield charm. The most they could do was beat me up profusely, which they did.  

Anyway, the abuse continued on until a few weeks ago, when I finally got a free minute to get the hell out of there. They'd taken me to a remote town in Romania since they obviously couldn't remain at the Black Manor. At this point, they'd already been defeated by some kid, apparently. The two that were kicking me around were just doing it for fun.

I apparated back here, tried to find out what had happened, but decided to come back here when I couldn't find anything," she explained sleepily. Upon hearing about "some kid", Remus paled. He was about to explain what had occurred, probably ruining the euphoric mood they were in after finding each other, when he looked down. 

Ashlynn was fast asleep, cuddled safely against him. 

Remus sighed, getting more comfortable and falling into sleep himself.

he'd just have to tell her tomorrow.