A New Plan

Crystal didn’t know how they did it, but they managed to reach the base. They had outrun time, even with their injuries. They were now back at the guild, exhausted, hurt, but alive and safe from the end of time. As soon as they got back, Chatot had called everyone back. Officer Magnezone had come as well, with his Magnemite deputies. In fact, he spoke to the entire guild.

“ZZZT! Thank you for helping us with our criminal investigation! ZZZT! ZZZT! We have Mesprit under protection! Her safety is assured. ZZZT!” Crystal stared at him. She thought Mesprit was a guy! Was this like Wigglytuff gender-bending? Everyone thought he was a girl at first… “ZZZT! We are dedicating all resources to the pursuit of Grovyle. ZZZT! ZZZT! If you come across any information related to this case, please let us know! ZZZT! ZZZT! We must all cooperate to bring this criminal to justice! ZZZT! ZZZT! That is all, now please excuse us! ZZZT!” His speech over, everyone watched as Magnezone started to leave. He floated up the ladder. Chatot turned to Team Sapphire, who were grinning triumphantly at each other.

“My, my! I’m absolutely astonished! So there was a lake deep under the Northern Desert? And that wasn’t all? A Time Gear was also down there?” Chatot exclaimed, a hint of praise like icing on top of the cake of his flabbergasted manner, but Rise looked down sadly. No amount of praise would change what had happened.

“Yes, but about that Time Gear… Grovyle stole it… And we failed to even slow down Grovyle…” Rise said sadly. “In the end, that’s the same as doing nothing at all!” he whimpered.

“That’s not true, by golly! You all did great work!” Bidoof protested, but he was sad as well.

“Hey, hey! I think so too! Team Sapphire can be really proud!” Corphish said, a little more cheerfully. “But it’s a shame about the whole thing… There’s no clue telling us what we should do next, right?” This next mini-speech was a little less cheerful. “Hey, hey! If only we had one tiny hint…” Corphish said, losing all cheerfulness.

“I must agree.” Dugtrio said. “Where will Grovyle strike next? We have no way of knowing.” Crystal sighed. All of this was making her rather sad. Although they meant well at first, it wasn’t helping.

“It’s too bad that the opportunity to catch him slipped away.” Sunflora said. “We’re back to square one!” That wasn’t cheerful at all. Crystal saw that this made Rise feel even worse, and she wanted to hit Sunflora for speaking so carelessly.

“Maybe not, not necessarily.” Dusknoir said. Everyone stared at him.

“Dusknoir, sir!” Chatot exclaimed. Dusknoir came to the front. All eyes trained on him. They were all curious to hear what he had to say. The wise Dusknoir must have some kind of plan!

“There are some clues.” Dusknoir said. “One Time Gear was at Fogbound Lake, guarded by Uxie, correct? Another Time Gear was at the Underground Lake, guarded by Mesprit.” Dusknoir pointed out.

“Oh, that reminds me! Mesprit said something interesting! Mesprit knew that the Time Gear from Fogbound Lake was stolen! Uxie alerted her in telepathy!” Rise exclaimed. Crystal stared at him. How had he forgotten that?

“Incredible!” exclaimed Dugtrio.

“Now THAT IS really something!” Loudred yelled