Chapter One

10.22.16

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this. From the encouragers to those that helped with placing the boys in a hockey world. You all are absolutely fantastic!

I hope everyone enjoys some hockey boys ;)

~*~

"Hockey game. You, me, tonight. Seven PM."

My ear twitches at the sound. Hockey?

My guard instantly goes back up as my roommate, Jade, plops onto my bed, setting down what appears to be two tickets. I set my magazine down and look at her. She's up to something. She rarely invites me to games. She rarely invites me anywhere, to be honest.

We may share a living space, but we're not close. We have different majors and goals. She's a communications major, hoping to walk the runways one day, I hope to give my creativity to an NHL team one day. Jade told me that having a degree was respected in the modeling world, so she would get one before modeling full-time. And I won't lie, girl's got looks—but she's a little short on personality. We... coexist. I think we could actually be friends if she wasn't so self involved.

"What?" she says, and I continue to stare. Jade huffs. "Fine. I can't find anyone to go with me. Would you please come?" she practically begs. Jade singsongs her next words, "I know how much you enjoy going when you are able."

She looks at me with wide, hopeful eyes as I mull over her request. "So, I'm your last resort," I state flatly.

She slumps in her spot, groans and falls on her back. "You make it sound so terrible when you say it like that!" What else would it have sounded like? That's essentially what she said without actually stating 'You're my last resort.' She turns her head to look at me. "Sang. You've not been able to afford tickets regularly since starting at this school, and haven't gone to a game this year." Jade rolls on her side and pushes one of the tickets to me. "And here I am, the perfect roommate, offering a free ticket."

Alarm bells go off. She definitely wants something. But what, exactly?

I raise an eyebrow at her. "Free? What's the catch?"

Jade is silent for a moment, then sighs. "I'll give you this free ticket if you wing me at the end of the game, so I can nab me one of those hockey players," she finishes seriously then breaks into a grin.

Ugh. Boy shopping. I rub at my forehead as I think about it. She's right. I've not been able to go to many games, due to them being a hot ticket, and me not having the finances to pay for them. Also, I'm not keen on going alone, just as Jade isn't. But she wants me to be her wing-woman. Well, I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Every time she's roped me into it (which I admit, has not been much), I've not had to do a single thing. Easiest wing-woman job ever. And I've been itching to get in the arena again. Plus the ticket won't cost me a penny.

"Okay, I'll go."

Jade is screaming, "Thank you!" before I can even finish my agreement. She shocks me by bringing me into a hug that I don't return. Have I mentioned we haven't been close?

"Okay, I'll order pizza later, and we'll eat before we leave, mkay?" she says as she pulls away. I nod, still stunned at her display. She wants to eat together?

Jade gets up to leave my room, but pauses at my door. Turning around she says, "Cheese okay?"

I nod. "Yeah, cheese is fine." And with that, she smiles and exits.

Instead of picking up my magazine again, I grab the book from my bedside table and get lost in Serenity's world with her boys.

~*~