Your Distance From Me

• Dedicated to You, Who Dreams of Your Future

Camille Barnes was the type of girl who you thought had everything. She's pretty, popular, smart and to top it all off, had a great life. She was the life of the party; the one who stood out the most. 

Camille was a daughter to one of the richest family in town. She was the girlfriend to the most popular guy in school. She was friends with and hung out with the cool kids. She was seemingly perfect in every way. 

But for me Camille Barnes was just someone I was acquainted with. I just happened to be the guy who she passed on the hallways; who sat next to her at class, who she regularly greeted and smiled at everyday. We only exchanged very few conversations, sometimes just a few words and greetings. 

I couldn't get the courage to be more than that with her. I was just your average guy, living a simple life and who was average in every way possible.

I was nothing compared to the amazing Camille who had a brilliant future ahead of her. We were worlds apart. After graduation, we would have our separate ways and lead different paths for ourselves.

I was contented that my existence was acknowledged by her though I'd only see her with little time left until graduation, even if we're not friends, even if we'd never be. That's how everything worked for me.

And then one day she was gone. 

Everyone was devastated. Friends, family and peers, they were all saddened to lose Camille, the one who'll one day be a shining star. They mourned and cried for her, but I never shed a single tear. How can I, when I barely knew this girl?

I just had that regret that I never got to know her.

And I won't ever get a chance to.

I was about to go home one time, a week after she died. It was by accident that I found that her former locker was open. A memory of her as she smiled and laughed with her friends in that same spot resurfaced in my mind. It was a few doors away from mine, but I couldn't stop the curiosity I felt. 

I opened it, only to find they hadn't cleared the contents out yet. It felt like she was still alive and about to go to school tomorrow. But a worn out-looking leather bound book caught my eye.

I took it with shaking fingers, nervous on what I would find. I opened the content and realized what it was.

A photo album.