The Rose Shield.

****Shay's P.O.V.****

          I sat up in bed, soaked in sweat. Its dark in the room. Adam clutched my hand and inhaled sharply. "Tyler?" I ask. Its a whisper. "He could be worse." Adam replies. We are quiet for a little bit. "Adam, am I sick?"  I ask shakily. I feel him nod. "I..I am so-" Adam cuts me off. "Don't ever say that again. You have nothing to be sorry about. We are not giving up."  He pulls me into a strong hug. "Adam...you know I am not going to live. So just take Sky, Sam and Tyler and leave. I don't want them to see me die." I pull away. "No. You will beat this." Adam pulls hair from my face. "lay down, get some rest." He eases me down and pats my head. "Don't leave me." I extend my hand into the darkness. I hold by breath. "I wont." He whispers and takes my hand.

                When I wake up, light filters through the window. I get up off the bed and head down the hall. "Where is Adam?" I ask Sam who is playing with some action figures. "He left to get fire wood, and Sky is in the back bedroom with Tyler." He looks up at me. "Are you sick?"  I look away. "No." I respond and turn to go down the hallway. The door to the master bedroom is cracked open. I listen for a minute and hold my breath. After a few minutes of listening and hearing nothing, I stagger into the room. Sky is bent over dressing Tyler's wound. Tyler is asleep. Sky looks over toward me. "Good morning." She says in her usual happy tone. "Morning." I say still half asleep. "You should not be out of bed." She say's as she sits down into a chair that's next to the bed. I wave her off. "How is he?" I whisper. "He is okay, for being stabbed. Luckily the knife, or what ever it was missed all the important stuff."She motions for me to sit. 'Important stuff?' I sit. Tyler stirs in the bed and moans. "He doesn't sound "okay"." I protest. "He is just in a lot of pain. We just need to keep the wound clean, and he just needs to rest." She takes a breath. "May I ask you a question?" "Sure." I respond looking out the window. "What was he like before..you know, before all this." She gestures around the room. I sigh, and struggle through my thoughts. "Its okay if you don't want to ta-" I cut her off. "He was a punk." I begin, and she nods for me to continue. "He, Zara, myself and a close friend of mine were in a band." My eyes flicker and I remember what was before. "It was called the "Rose Shield", Tyler sang lead. I was on bass guitar, and Zara was our drummer." My words hitch. "My best friend Lolia was another bass player. She went missing after a concert one night. Tyler was pissed, he went to look for her. I followed after him." I stop to take a breath. "Fuck..I am sorry." My voice raises an octave. "It's okay. You can continue if you want." She say's taking a breath. I calm down and continue. "I followed Tyler into an alley way just a few blocks from the concert hall. Lolia was face down and not moving." I close my eyes and recount the rest. "I ran passed Tyler and over to Lolia, she was bleeding heavily and Tyler was on his phone calling the police. Lolia recovered in the Hospital and was back at school the next week." I open my eyes again and Tyler was sitting up. I felt my face go red. "Why are you telling her that?" He spat at me. This time my face drains of all color. "I..just.." I studder and stand up. "You just what?" He practally yells. I am infurated by this. "Shut up! Your so stupid. I was bragging about you. Dont get all upset just beacuse I was telling a story from the past." I yell back. "Sky, Get out." He breaths and starts to stand. I back up. She look frightned, and she seems to know how pissed he is. "But..your hur" Tyler cuts her off. "Out." He barks and she scurries out of the room and shuts the door. I back up again. "Shit."