CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Newt knew he was not going to make it.

It was obvious from the beginning that WICKED was lying. It was stupid of them to even believe them for a second. Everything they said and did was a lie.

There was no truth in WICKED.

He didn't feel any pain, so he knew that he was just paralysed. Or dead, maybe.

But he could feel, so he knew he was alive. He has to be.

What did it matter anyway? He had the Flare. The disease that would turn him into a monster.

He was already starting to get crazy. He saw people falling on the floor. He had a glimpse of Minho starting towards him but falling.

It was WICKED again. Newt couldn't feel the hands that were dragging him out. He knew that he was being taken away as he saw everyone getting smaller and smaller in front of his eyes.

He closed his eyes. He was slowly turning into a crazy person that would find happiness in eating his friends.

Teresa was dead. Everyone was paralysed. Thomas has lost it with Brenda. There was nothing he could do.

Death. That was what he wanted as well. Just to go away from the pain of life.

Teresa had smiled before leaving them forever. She knew she were going to a better place then.

Away from the pain of life.

He remembered something then. A face. His mom maybe?

He is small.

"Why are people sad when someone dies?" he asks someone. He can't see the other face clearly. Everything is confusing.

He feels when the person hugs her. It's his mom, he is sure of that now. "That's because life is a beautiful lie, while death is a painful truth." she cries on his shoulder then.

Newt remembers her now. Her face. The sound of her voice. His mother.

She was right. Death is a painful truth.

But at least it is the truth.

All he needs now is the truth.