Heaven Can Wait

After that, we all ate dinner in the dining room and Janet told stories to everyone about Michael's life, his childhood, the days they'd spend together. To no one else's knowledge, Michael stood in the corner of the room, filling in parts Janet would forget and laughing to funny stories she'd give.

That night, we all sat in the parlor telling each other about one another and I really was right when I said we were all cut from a different cloth. People had come that night from all over the world. We had a girl named Elizabeth from Canada. One guy named Isaac from England. A girl named Lisette from Brazil.
"So is it creepy staying in the mansion at night?"
One of them asked us and honestly shrugged, "What do you mean?"

"Well is it like Michael's ghost is here at all?"

Michael in the corner laughed and we answered,
"No. Neverland is intimating but nothing to be creeped out by. Nothing here would ever hurt you. I swear it."
Shania answered and I nodded, "You'll be safe in these four walls guys.."
I promised and everyone smiled. That night we played songs by the fireplace in the den and rode the Neverland go karts and other rides until midnight. Janet left as soon as we retuned inside and she wished us a goodnight.
I reminded everyone of breakfast in the morning and lights out came at about one. I fell onto my bed exhausted mentally. But I smiled knowing I could never sleep. I felt that familiar rush of cold air and on the opposite side of the bed, his head next to mine Michael spoke,
"Thank you."

"For?" I asked him.

He looked to the ceiling and said, "Everything. Mostly giving me the courage to hug my baby sister again." I smiled and told him, "It was a heart warming moment. I couldn't miss it."
I rolled over and asked as this question had been on my mind for weeks, "Michael?"
"Yes?" He answers turning his head to look to me.
I shrugged unsure how he'd take it but asked,
"Why are you still in Neverland? Can you not cross over? Ya know...go into the light..."
He rose up, he looked around doing his infamous thinking hum and he says,
"I suppose I-....I miss being alive too much to really cope with being dead. I wanted to live forever. I loved life. I loved being able to wake up and do new things and go new places."
"What's it like to die Michael?"
After I asked, Faith opens the door and comes in to the beside, "Sorry I can't sleep. Continue, I wanna listen.." Michael smiles and says, "Dying is like..like feeling your brain lose control of your body, one second at a time. Like those dreams where something is happening before your eyes but your body is in this eternal sleep. Almost as if it's an out of body experience, I watched my body be carried out of bed that day. I stood there watching my funeral. I was standing in the middle of the room but no one could see me. One day I just opened my eyes to see myself in Neverland. And now I this is where I stay. I walk these halls never wanting to go anywhere else. Casper explained it pretty well. Its like being born, but backwards." Michael smiled and he flipped around the tiny porcelain horse next to the bed, making it levitate and gallop across the room. We played with his levitation trick for a few minutes, all of us giggling and Faith makes her way to her room. I got situated under my covers and Michael goes over shutting off the lamp next to my bed. He sits in the chair next to my bedside and let's himself fade to translucency. I knew his energy was beginning to lessen. I yawned and told him, "Ya know Michael, if you ever wanted to cross over.. I wouldn't mind. I don't want you to be unhappy and be in pain."
He looked to me smiling and said, "And miss the new adventures happening with my friends in Neverland. I don't think so."
I smiled and closed my eyes, his voice becomes soft and he says, "Heaven can wait Dee.."
"Michael..,?" I asked before falling asleep.
"Yes Dee..."
"Stay with me until I fall asleep okay?" I heard him answer, "I always have Dee, I've never left. I'm always here."
I smiled almost asleep and said,
"I love you, Michael. I hope we've given back and made you proud."
"Don't you worry Dee. I'm very proud. Now get some rest. I'll be in the morning. I promise."
I let my eyes fall asleep and sleepily I said,
"My guardian angel."
I dreamt of the many days we'd spend together in Neverland and how not only how we found Michael but together have back to his memory. That night after months of restlessness. I slept deep and peaceful. I felt knowing I had a guardian angel to watch me as I rested.