Chapter 49

Zane’s hand went to his face automatically. “What was that for?” he demanded.

“For making me believe that no one on this planet that I love still cared about me! Do you know how heartless you looked when our parents were taking me to my death? I thought you didn’t care! That you were as soulless as they were!” I sobbed. “And, and… now I found out you have magic! Why didn’t you tell me? You know I would’ve helped you!”

His awkwardness passed and he turned into the confident brother I had always known. He resumed the position of comforter. “I didn’t want you involved if anything went wrong. I just wanted to keep you safe. That night when I heard we were taking you to see the king for your execution instead of meeting John for your engagement, I knew I had failed. I wanted to come see you, but I knew the risk was too great. I would have been no use to you if they had done the same to me. I have since been trying everything in my power to lead them off your scent… they were so close to catching you in the woods, Lana… but it seems that I have even failed that. I’m so sorry for being a terrible brother. I wish I could get you out of here. But my magic is useless.”

I didn’t know what to believe anymore. The sincerity in his eyes told me he was telling the truth, and I wanted to believe him. “There is still time,” I said, trying to give him some hope even though I knew it was pointless. Everything was escalating too fast and I no longer had any hope left. The king’s knights were good at what they did; there was no way to get out of this palace without magic on our side.

“I’m a terrible brother for allowing this to happen. I shouldn’t have let them take you. I should’ve protected you; it’s my job as your brother. Please say you can find it in your heart to forgive me?”

I took his hands in mine and leaned my head closer to the bars. He did the same and I kissed him on his forehead. “I forgive you. I know you only did those things to try and protect me. But now I need you to protect yourself. If anyone finds out what you are, they will kill you as well. You need to stay alive, please. For me, keep yourself safe.”

He nodded. “I will, but I also promise to get you out of here. I will make it happen, Lana. I promise.” I smiled weakly at him, knowing there wasn’t much he could do without getting himself killed. But he needed hope, and as long as he had that, he would be okay. I finally felt some peace, knowing I hadn’t lost everyone I loved. I still had my brother.

“Can I ask you a question?” I prompted after several minutes of silence. There was something I was burning to know.

“Yes, anything.”

“You remember that time you walked in on me and John? When he –“

“He paid for that, I made sure of it,” Zane interrupted me. “I waited till everyone was asleep and then I had a… talk with him. He might have been a strong knight, but I was furious that he had tried to hurt my sister… I don’t know if you remember seeing his black eye the next day, the one he claimed he got while fighting off some burglar the night before when he was out doing his ‘civil duty’?” I smiled at the memory. John had come in the next morning for breakfast declaring he had gotten in a fight trying to save some poor family from being robbed. I also recalled Zane with a bandage around his hand he claimed he got from riding. I didn’t think much of it back then because I was too preoccupied with what had happened.

My heart swelled at the thought that my brother still loved me despite everything. I wished the bars between us could disappear so I could hug him. But my wish was not granted. Instead, approaching footsteps caused him to jump to his feet. “I’ll figure something out,” he whispered and disappeared into the shadows.

My heart started racing with anxiety as the footsteps got louder. Could it be the guards coming to take me to my doom? Was it that time already? My throat closed up and tears gathered behind my eyes. I wasn’t ready to die, not yet. I wasn’t.

Relief spread through me when familiar green eyes glinted in the torch light. “Everyone in the palace is asleep, we can talk freely.”

“You came back.”

“I said I would, didn’t I?”

“I thought you wouldn’t be able to get a chance,” I admitted.

He knelt down and reached through the bars to cup my face in his palm. “You should know by now that for you I would make chances.”

“Kalen –“ I started, but he cut me off with his finger, placing it over my lips.

“I know things are complicated for you, I knew that when I met you. Andreas is hard to say no too, and he really likes you, which makes things harder. But that doesn’t mean I’m giving up. Right now you are more inclined toward him, I get that.” I nodded weakly and he forced a smile.

“There is still time. I know you met him first, but I’m not giving up without a fight. I wouldn’t be me if I surrendered. And I’m going to start by getting you out of here.”

“You aren’t mad at me?”

“I have no reason to be. You aren’t mine yet, but I promise you I intend to change that.”

I closed my eyes. Things just keppt getting more and more complicated. Or were they getting simpler? I was going to die in a couple of hours, so what did it all matter anyway? Was Kalen being here my last chance to see him before I died? At least I could say goodbye to him. I would never get that chance with Andreas. Not anymore.

“What’s your plan?” I asked.

Kalen’s eyebrows furrowed. “I… actually don’t have one yet. It’s really hard to operate without any of my magic. The damper they put on the palace is more powerful than I thought.” Not once during the conversation so far had he stopped touching me. I felt weird sensation sweep over me, but I didn’t give it much thought.

“How did you even get in here?”

“My name isn’t quite as famous as Andreas’. Well… not in this kingdom at least. Only Raphael and his Followers of Light really know who I am and they don’t work in the palace. It was easy to pass myself as an expert at finding sorcerers, especially with my ability to sense them. I gave them one or two to make them trust me.” My mouth dropped open. He caused the deaths of two people already?

He narrowed his eyes at me. “Don’t look so surprised, my lady. You knew I was dark when you met me. What is sacrificing two lives to get inside the palace? Now all I need to do is somehow convince them that you don’t have magic. If that’s at all possible.”

“You killed two innocent people to further your own agenda?” I asked, still stuck in my disbelief.

“Do not pretend that suddenly such actions repulse you. I have told you what I am,” he stated calmly, a faint tendril of darkness tangling around his legs.

But it’s different getting first-hand experience of it, I almost said out loud, but instead chose to swallow my words. I couldn’t afford to fight with him now. He appeared so different than the man I had gotten to know over the last few weeks at Andreas’ mansion.

After several minutes, he got to his feet again. “I’ll make this work, just wait. You aren’t dying on my watch.” I smiled meekly as he disappeared. The moment his hands left me, the strange sensation that had been with me before, vanished.

Both Zane and Kalen thought they could save me, but I knew it was never going to happen. They were both deluding themselves into a fantasy that could never be true. Tomorrow I would see the king and he would sentence me to death. I would then be burned on a stake, my life wiped out in slow, excruciating torture. They didn’t want to accept that, but I had. I was making my peace, hoping they would be well when I was gone.