crown one; past vows

Building a country is a slow process. Endlessly delicate and filled with intricate procedures and frustrating mandates.

Everything lacking in the war that it took to win it.

But she didn't win a war to hold Gaia.

No, Lysandra von Estriach Wilcke didn't have an army. There was no bloodshed, no clashing swords, no men dying when she took Gaia. Only herself, a cranky old man, the clothes off her back, and a fortune. And her mind.

"Haruka," she addresses the former Marquis sitting on the other side of the table, "Her Highness informed us that the royal family and the Estriach Clan would arrive through the Dead Sea passage to Kantha of Aether and then to Gaia. Why don't you greet them in the Aether capital alongside grandmother? I'll stay behind and finish the coronation documents."

Lysandra built a new country out of the ruins of the old Gaia. But Haiyana Estriach is the Queen Regent of Gaia instead. Her temperamental, hell-be-damned grandmother was the ruler while a nation that originally belonged to the Estriach Clan now flew the flags of Clarines and wore its colours instead.

There was certain irony in that fact.

"You won't go?" Haruka asked, visage wrinkled and time worn. He had worked hard for this country these past six years, she thinks.

"You deserve a break," she tells him, smiling gently.

Go greet our King. Go do the things a dead woman cannot.

A dead woman. A legend burned by fire.

His gaze is unreadable when he replied. "Thank you."

Her smile turns wry.

♛♛♛

The elder warrior princess of Aether sends Lysandra a letter a month before Izana Wistaria is set to arrive in Gaia.

Grandmaster of the Gaian Archives, Liyostoni von Paladizagaea,

It is my sincerest pleasure to announce to you the safe arrival of the Clarines liege and his court. However, it has been brought to my attention that there are talks among the court of Eradikegal that the second prince wishes to overthrow your grandmother's power in a coup-d'etat during this year's Summer Solstice, held in your lands.

Sincerely,
Enligeca Acelia, First Princess of Aether

Lysandra leans back in her chair, laughing, dark locks swishing.

There are only four nations on the continent beyond the Dead Sea. Aether, the nation of warriors, ruled by Acelia. Gaia, the nation of culture and scholars, ruled by Paladizagaea. Hamunet, the nation of craft, ruled by Ishtarya. And Eradikegal, the nation of trade and the mother of all the forgotten kingdoms, ruled by the capitalistic Wezstanza.

Capitalism breeds ambition. And ambitious people become cunning and jaded, and that was exactly what happened to the rulers of Gaia and the Wezstanza second prince.

She thinks of how she became the saviour of a land so big, and of people so hopeful. The simple gold of coins and the greed on greasy faces.

The royal registry in front of her and the five most recent names written in it.

Sitting down, she pens a letter quickly then sends her pigeon outside her window and glances at the worn leather of the book she died for, then at the names penned on the parchment, then closes it and walks over to her fireplace with the book clutched into her chest.