Chapter 20

Okay, so I lied. Sort of. I might be pregnant. I haven't taken a test yet or anything, but I was a week and a half late for my period. However, it was a good chance, since I have been normal up until this point in time. I didn't know what to do. If I was, I didn't have Jack in my life, and if I wasn't, I would have lied to him, even though I thought that I had been. It was a mess that I didn't mean to get into. Maybe I was desperate to see if he'd stay. 

I signed in, and headed back to my bed. To my surprise, Allison was there on her computer. Okay, half my surprise. I didn't expect her to be here, but if she was, she'd be on her computer. Anyway, I flopped down on my bed and let out a heavy sigh. "Hey, Emily, what's wrong?" 

"I think Jack and I are done. For real this time," I said sitting up. 

"What?" She walked over to me and sat by my feet. "Why?" 

"He said that I looked sickly and that he couldn't deal with it," I said, shrugging. "I think I want to focus on myself, though," I said. "I don't think I was ready for a relationship." 

Allison tilted her head and narrowed her eyes. "There's something else, isn't there?" 

"Maybe," I said, pulling my knees up to my chest and resting my head. "Yeah." Allison looked to me and scooted closer, tilting her head. I could feel her eyes pierce me, even though I wasn't looking at her. I couldn’t stand it anymore. She didn't have to say anything, and I didn't have to look at her to spill the beans. "I, uh... There might be a possibility I am pregnant," I said. 

Allison was quiet. All she did was stand up and walk to her computer, opening a drawer and walking back to me. She placed a pregnancy test in front of me on the bed. "Take that right when you wake up. If it's positive, we go to the health clinic to get your blood drawn and they can tell you from there." I shrugged and sighed some. This was going to be a long night. 

My phone had started ringing and it was a picture of Jack making a heart with his hands. I pressed ignore and laid down. After a while, I heard another beep, and checked my phone. It was a voicemail. Do I dare check it? I stared at it for what seemed like the longest time, before I called it. I put in my code and went to the messages, listening to it. 

Jack was sniffling and made his words sound as clean as he could: "Emily, I don't know what threw you off this far, but if you're pregnant, I... I have to be there. I need to talk to you, Emily. Please. Just... Call me back. I do need to talk to you and love you." He had hung up and I decided that I wouldn't call him unless I got a positive test result on my blood work. 

Continuing my bad habit, I didn't eat that night. But it wasn't because I was watching what I (wasn't) eating; it was because I was too stressed, and I didn't want to puke up what starving kids in the street could be eating. Not my puke, but the food before I would get sick. But... if I were pregnant, I would need to eat. 

I barely got any sleep that night. Thinking about my future and what my parents would say to me. My parents were coming back into my mind again, and I laid there, eyes wide open, as I let tears fall from my face. I couldn't open my lips, it felt like someone had glued them shut. The horrors I saw in my mind scared me, and I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't blink, I couldn't move. I was stuck. 

I had finally fell asleep just before dawn, and woke up about two hours later. I had no messages on my phone, and I had no calls. Allison was out in the lobby, as I laid in bed. Everything was real, still. It wasn't a dream. It wouldn't go away if I forgot about it. It was all still here. And I had no choice but to deal with it. 

Remembering the test the second I woke up from my so called rest, I grabbed it and read the instructions. Pee on a stick and wait. Seemed simple enough as I headed to the bathroom with my phone and did as it said.