The Letter

I pick myself off of the ground and wince as I wipe blood off my lip. I walk slowly toward the nearest water fountain and wash my face. I scoop up water and drench the bloody rip in my jeans where a deep cut formed. I sigh slowly and look at the backs of the boys running off. I can hear their laughs fading off in the distance.

"Just three more months Rin," I murmur to myself, "And I won't have to deal with those rich bastards anymore." I start to gather my scattered papers and put them in my backpack. I start my walk home, walking fast, and constantly looking over my shoulders for the boys. Who the hell do they think they are? We don't have Castes anymore, so why do they pick on me because of my family income? I continue to question their actions until I hear a voice call to me from behind.

"Rin!"

I turn around fast and hold up my hands. I let out a breath and relax when I see it is Liz. She gasps slightly when she sees my split lip and scraped knees.

"They did it again? God how lame can they be?" She says, "Rin! You need to stick up for yourself! My god...they are going to keep continuing you know!" I sigh because I know she's right. I usually am really aggressive; until it comes to fighting. I just can't seem to fight back.

"I don't know Liz. I just can't seem to...Maybe I'm just worried about getting suspended or something subconsciously?" I say, more like a question then a statement, "They are such idiots! Why can't I fight back?!" I pick up my pace in an attempt to give Liz a hint that I want to be alone. She doesn't get it so she speeds up next to me.

"Whatever...you'll figure it out...Oh! Guess what! I got that lead I auditioned for!" She starts jumping up and down and gives out a squeal. Liz aspires to be a dancer, and she has talent for it too.

"Oh my gosh! Liz that's wonderful!" I say enthusiastically, but I can't help but think why everyone else seems to have a talent for something; how everyone else has a dream, yet I can't make up my mind. I give her another smile and start walking again. My life hasn't always been great. My family has a really low income because my grandfather was a Six. Even though the Castes were dissolved years ago, the ones that were lower on the scale has had a hard time trying to match up with everyone else.

"Hey! How about to celebrate, you come to my house and I'll whip you up a cake or something?" I say. my grandfather was a six, but when the Castes were taken away, he kept with his original job of being a cook. Since it was the only thing he knew how to do, he taught it to my mother, who then taught it to me. I work as a baker now at a small bakery at the corner of my street.

"Oh my gosh YES! Your cakes, I swear, are the best!" She squeals while grabbing my shoulders and shakes them. I laugh loudly.

"Oh please! As if! Calm down! the neighbors are staring!" I hiss at her, trying to seem angry, but failing miserably. I look at the neighbors shyly, and quickly walk to my front door. I unlock it and push Liz towards the small kitchen.

"Sit here! I have to do some stuff." I mumble. I walk out of the kitchen, and start looking into all of the rooms and let out a sigh of relief seeing my mother wasn't home. It gets really tense at home with her here. I turn around and jump back in surprise seeing someone standing there.

"Stella! Oh my gosh! Don't do that!" I said frantically staring at my little sister. She is about 8 years old, with adorable blonde hair and green eyes...even my little sister is prettier than me. I only have fine blonde hair and plain brown eyes. Plain and boring, I think, Basically the words describing my life.

"You were looking for Mother weren't you?" She asks. I nod. "I know...she yelled at me again today for taking too long to fold the laundry. It took only 10 minutes! I wish she knew everything isn't our job. And that we don't have to do it perfectly." she says while pulling me to the ground so we were eye level. I smile and stand up, and drag her to the kitchen to have some cake with us. I start pulling out flour, sugar, eggs, and the rest of the ingredients. After a short while, the batter was made, in the pan, and cooking.

I breath in the smell of baking cake, and pull Liz and Stella onto the couches in the living room. I sigh in relief.

"FRIDAY! Finally! Ugh. This week has been horrible!" I complain loudly, while Stella and Liz laughs.

"Oh!" Stella gasps, "Mother told me to give you this...I forgot until you said the day. She said for me to give it to you!" She runs down the hall and rushes back in an instant. "Mother would kill me if I didn't give this to you" She hands me a thick envelope.

I brush my hands over the envelope's words which has my name written in beautiful cursive: Rin Laurel. I look up at Liz and Stella who are urging me to open it. I rip the envelope open and pull out the paper.

"Read it out loud!" Liz giggles and flicks the paper.

"Ok...? It says,

"The recent census has confirmed that a single woman between the ages of sixteen and twenty currently resides in your home. We would like to make you aware of an upcoming opportunity to honor the great nation of Illea. Our beloved princes, Armin and Robin Shreave is coming of age this month. As he ventures into this new part of his life, he hopes to move forward with a partner, to marry a true Daughter of Illea. If your eligible daughter, sister, or charge is interested in possibly becoming the bride of Prince Armin or Prince Robin and the adored princess of Illea, please fill out the enclosed form and return it to your local Province Services Office." I gasp for breath after reading, and that wasn't even all it said.

"It goes on," I say, "but it's just saying how we will be 'generously compensated' and whatnot."

I finally look up to the two. They both are looking at me with a sly look and are giggling. I scooch back away from them on the couch.

"Rin, you HAVE to sign up!" My sister burst out saying while jumping up and down. "You would be perfect!"

"WHAT?! Are you CRAZY? I can't marry a PRINCE! I can barely be around people! How will I even be around not one, but two princes" I screech in retaliation. "Plus I'm so Booooring! I would never be fit for a prince." I huff.

"Well that's a shame," Liz says with a smirk, "Because you will be PAID for getting to live a life of luxury, and not to mention, you get to be away from your mother while you're at it."

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad...except that I would be competing for the hands of the twin Princes.

"Liz, I don't think I am able to put up with anymore rich snobs. That's what they are! I mean look at them!" I say, pointing to the T.V Stella just flicked on. The twins sat next to Millon Fadaye, the son of Gavril Fadaye, who apparently hosted Queen Eadlyn and King Erik's selection. The looked perfect, not a thing wrong with them. Prince Armin sat to Prince Robin's left. He was leaning back on the couch, his short hair perfectly even with nothing out of place, and relaxing, meanwhile Prince Robins sat upright like a board, with his longish brown hair slicked back.

"They both were wearing such expensive clothes. both looking so perfect I could scream! How are they human!?" I whine, pretending to pull out my hair. "I positive they are snobs like the kids at school. How could they not be! They live in a freakin castle!

"Perfect you say?" Liz repeats. God! Was that the only part she heard? "Rin, just sign up! It will be great for you to get away from the people here"

Woah. Since when has Liz been stern? Her eyes burned into me so I looked away...and right into the eyes of Stella. She made her eyes grow big and watery.

"Pleeeaaase?" She begged me. I hesitated. I can't resist her, and she knows that. I sigh in defeat.

"Fine. I'll do it. But I'm not going to get in anyways! If I do, I will leave right when we don't need the money" I say. Liz and Stella cheer in victory just when the oven timer goes off.