15) Gone, Gone, Gone

"You never realize the holes a person leaves behind until you fall into them."

—Neal Shusterman, The Dark Side of Nowhere

I lay in bed that night unable to fall asleep as was my norm ever since that day in the parking lot

I lay in bed that night unable to fall asleep as was my norm ever since that day in the parking lot. I kept replaying Brian's words over and over in my head. There was one thing that really bothered me. What did he mean by not everything was about me? Because it sure felt like this particular thing was. And for the life of me I couldn't understand what it was with everyone and expecting me to just roll over and dole out forgiveness to those two morons. It's not like I'm asking them to break up or anything, all that I want is a little peace and quiet. A break from them. A vacation from my troubles to be precise.

I gripped my pillow and rolled onto my side, staring at the walls. My room was dark; the only light came from the streetlamp, casting a shadowy glow that fit my mood to a tee. My phone beeped and I raised my brow, wondering who on earth could be messaging me at this ungodly hour of— I reached for the phone and checked the time—eleven. Whatever, it was considered late to some people.

Can you let me in? I'm on your porch and I'm freezing my butt off! It was from Hailey. A part of me wanted to pretend to be asleep so that I didn't have to deal with whatever drama she was no doubt toting. I closed my eyes, deciding to let her wait. With any luck, she'd leave.

My phone chimed again. Totally forgot that I had a key. Then, Are you asleep? I snorted. That should have been her first thought. I quietly slipped out of bed and locked my bedroom door when I heard footsteps approaching followed by a series of giggles. Yep, I so wasn't dealing with her tonight.

After the day's events, I was feeling a bit alone. Half the time it felt as though she was on their side, along with my parents and all our family members if the numerous text messages and emails citing their concern for Katie because of my lack of empathy, was anything to go on. I should have been able to count on my best friend to offer moral support in times like these, but she was some best friend because I sure as hell could not.

"Taylor?" she whispered, knocking softly. "We need to talk. Let me in."

I pulled my pillow over my head and focused on my breathing. I just couldn't catch a break. I couldn't even be sad in peace without some sort of disturbance.

The doorknob rattled. "I have a confession to make but I can't do that with this door between us and I know that you're awake," she said louder this time.

My ears perked at her words but I forced myself to stay put. She'd obviously been drinking earlier. This "confession" of hers was an ongoing thing that we hashed out every few weeks. In the event that I did open the door she'd simply fall straight asleep and then the next morning claim that she was too drunk the previous night and had no idea what confession I was talking about.