Chapter Two: The Lancet

John crossed the parlor to find his mother standing by the windows, peering through the Venetian blinds into the cobblestoned courtyard below. It was eerily quiet outside, the splintered entrance gates the only remaining evidence of the riot that still jarred his senses. His mother's preternatural silence echoed this eerie scene below. It was a foreboding calm, he knew.

The son broached the most necessary topic carefully, as befit the worsening circumstances. "Miss Hale will need to stay here for the time being," he began.

"I am very much aware of that, John. Did I not see to her care myself?" John's mother responded tartly. "It is clear to see that she is in some peril, is she is not?" She shook her head, unable to contain herself. "The foolishness of that girl! My only consolation is that it must have taken some strength of spirit for that haughty girl to lower herself enough to admit her feelings for you." Then, seeing the immediate effect of her words on her son, she placed a consoling hand upon his arm. Mrs. Thornton did not apologize, however.

John cleared his throat and did his best to keep his voice level and free from emotion. He failed. "Mother, you must not speak in that way about Miss Hale. I do not imagine that she cares for me. My only concern is to do what I can for her in her time of need."

"But John! She has shown it- two hundred men have witnessed it!"

"She is young, and idealistic, Mother. She takes the side of the hands. I do not think things are as straightforward as they may seem. That display was for their benefit. The more I think on it, the more certain I am of it."

"She will be ruined unless you act. I consider you bound in honor."

"You know that I will do what is honorable, Mother. I already-"

"What, John?"

The younger Thornton adroitly changed the subject. "I have asked Dr. Donaldson to discuss the most appropriate form of treatment for Miss Hale. Her parents must not be involved."

"And why not?"

"I am afraid Miss Hale may not have been forthcoming with you about her mother's condition."

"That fine woman and her 'low spirits.' Is she too weak-willed to hear that her daughter is ill? Will she need the smelling salts?" Mrs. Thornton's upper lip curled.

"According to Dr. Donaldson, she will not be with us long. I think Miss Hale did not share this out of grief."

Mrs. Thornton's face blushed an uncharacteristic rose. "I am sorry, John. I have offended. And I see that I have misjudged someone you care about. Perhaps there is more to this Miss Hale than I have realized." She sat down on the nearby settee and reached for the fan her daughter had carelessly left behind. Her son joined her and spoke earnestly.

"There is more, Mother. I misrepresented the situation between myself and Miss Hale. I told Dr. Donaldson there was an understanding between us. This was in order for him to allow me to approve any medical treatments. I worried that her father would be unable to. With his wife ill and given their limited financial resources-" he opened his hands in near supplication.

His mother laughed, her sullen mood finally released. "John, Miss Hale has declared herself for all the world to see. You have done no wrong in your own declaration. Your words have relieved Mr. Hale of a tremendous burden and he will thank you for it, I am sure." She did not bring up their own monetary burdens, and how the girl's care might affect these. She had no worries in this regard. John had their finances under control and would see him right- she was sure of it.

John sighed in relief, and stood, unfolding his lanky frame from the petite and rather fussy furnishings. "Then I will go and attend to her. Please have the servants make up the room closest to mine so that I may keep watch over her. We will bring her up shortly, I think."