Chapter Seven: The Pic-Nic

John was elated. He had not expected Margaret's quick response, and was quite taken aback to hear his name upon her lips. It was a pleasant surprise, however, quite a pleasant surprise. He bit back a hopeful smile as he regarded Mr. Hale. But for once, the older man, so often socially unaware read the situation correctly.

"Margaret?" the father cried out in astonishment. However, it was too late, as daughter had already left the room to leave the two men to their conversation. So Richard Hale turned to Margaret's suitor instead.

"I had no idea, John," Mr. Hale said, removing his wire-rimmed glasses to polish their lenses. "Is this what I think it is? I had not realized Margaret had warmed up to you. In fact, I thought she seemed, well..."

John nodded in agreement, as he struggled to find words. Did Margaret want him to mention that their engagement would be time-limited, and merely a sham, as he had placatingly suggested earlier in the day? If so, why had she said his name just now? And what was that current of electricity that had passed between them only minutes before? John was certain she had felt it, too, and he was certain that it meant something. All of what had passed between them these past few days had to mean something, despite Margaret's protestations. He would not pretend differently to her father.  At the very least, he knew his own feelings to be real.

"Yes,"John said, finally. "Well, perhaps the fact that we seemingly clashed so vehemently over every little topic camouflaged a growing attachment."

"Indeed. It may have been proof of it."

"I would like you to know that my esteem for your daughter has grown steadily since the day I met her. I have known no finer person. She is truly a credit to you and Mrs. Hale."

"We have done our best to raise her as a good and moral person."

"She displays that at every opportunity. Even in situations where a weaker person would tremble, she stands tall. That takes integrity.Mr. Hale, you taught her well. I know that I am but a mere manufacturer, but--"

"John,do not talk like this! You know that I consider you as one of my dearest friends, despite the fact that our friendship has been short. You are like a son to me. If you are asking me if I would agree to you marrying my daughter, I must tell you that it would be in no way a condescension."

John sighed. "She is too good for me."

Mr. Hale laughed. "Nonsense. The two of you are evenly matched. I have often wondered if I made a mistake in raising my daughter to be as independent as I did. It would take a special man to accept her spirit and her outspoken nature. You are that man, certainly. I feel blessed our life took us to Milton and crossed our path with yours. To have you in our family would be an honor. Truly, John. It would be an honor."

"Thank you, Mr. Hale." John's face was transformed as he smiled without reserve, his eyes crinkling into the crows feet set there by concern.

"Call me 'Richard'. Or perhaps, 'Father'?" The older man replaced his glasses on his face and returned the smile. "I suppose continuing with our studies tonight is out of the question. I do have some recollection of young love and its capacity to turn the brain into a sodden pulp. I imagine you will have no more patience for Greek philosophy tonight. It is, I fear, a bit more dry than thoughts of wedded bliss."

John's color rose, and Mr. Hale chuckled.

"You are too easy to rouse, my friend. There is nothing wrong with being in love. I hope you will remember this. I, for one, cannot be happier for you and my daughter, although I know that you will treat her with the dignity and honor she deserves-"

"I would not do otherwise, Mr. Hale!"

"I know, John, I know. But it must be said. Reputations must be protected, and I hear no end of it from the women of this family. According to Dixon and my sister-in-law, who both unduly influence my wife, I should not allow Margaret to visit her friends unchaperoned. I should not allow Margaret to leave the house alone. I should not allow Margaret to leave her room, I suppose. Poor girl. Knowing you as well as I do, I am certain that entrusting her to your guardianship will not convey her into a form of bondage she has never experienced, John, but at the same time you may find that the months until the time when you are wed will be vexing--"