Before I Start...

Hi there.

My name is Julia Samuels.  When what I'm about to tell you happened, I was twenty years old and studying psychology at the university which I shall leave nameless for privacy reasons.  No university would keep a student willing to make so public a fool of herself AND oust them while doing so.

I was ordinary.  I want this to be perfectly clear.  I was as basic as a potato, and almost just as boring.  I followed the rules.  My grades were good.  I went to church.  I didn't drink.  I didn't partake in mind-altering substances.  My hair was its natural light brown; my eyes were as hazel as they have always been; I stood at an average five-five.  I was neither overweight nor underweight.  I tried to be nice to everyone, regardless of what I thought of them.  My family, with one (at that time) exception, lacked any interesting peccadilloes.  We were private people- and that's how we like it. 

I repeat, for the sake of emphasis, and it's as true now as it was then: ain't NOTHING special about me, and where I come from.

But I am a lightning rod.

Things happen to us, me and my family.  I don't know what it is.  But we are put places, the right places- or wrong places, depending on how you look at it- to say or do a certain thing and make a world of difference.  Not that I cause trouble.  I just wind up being a lot of trouble in the end, and I guess you could say that's about the same thing.  I have made a lot of enemies and few friends carrying on this hereditary responsibility of feather-ruffling and pot-stirring. 

But I wouldn't know any other kind of life.  It's always the same old thing: whenever opportunity knocks, even if it looks to get ugly from the beginning, there's no resisting that urge to fling open the door and shout "Lay it on me, man!"

All that said, there is absolutely no explaining what happened to me.  To him.  To us.

I wasn't prepared for it.  I know HE didn't see it coming. 

All I can tell you, at this point, is, if you take nothing away from my tale, know this: Be careful what you wish for.

Because I wasn't.  I was flip.  I was ignorant.  And I was heartless.

And look what a mess I made...