CHAPTER 1

Ruby had never liked the woods - they'd always given off an eerie, unsettling kind of vibe

Ruby had never liked the woods - they'd always given off an eerie, unsettling kind of vibe. Nonetheless, there was no turning back now. The trees stretched up towards the sky, towering over her, their branches long and skinny, ready to reach down and grab her. She could hear the sound of the leaves rustling up against each other, twigs cracking underneath her feet. She looked over her shoulder, wondering what would happen if she headed back. Her sisters would tease her, no doubt. She'd been dared - dared to prove her bravery.

The dare was to knock on the door of the old, mysterious house hidden deep down in the forest and come back with proof that she'd been there. Legend has it that it was inhabited by five creatures who took pride in killing. It was haunted, and no one in the land of Wysteria was bold in enough to step foot on the property.

Unlike her sisters, Ruby had never believed in those tales. So when they shot the dare right at her, there was no hesitation for her to straighten her posture and say she was willing to. Now, though, she felt regretful. Her shoulders were slouched over and her eyes darted to every corner of the woods, fear rushing through her.

She stopped in front of a house that looked like it could've been from the Victorian era. It was dark, spooky and gloomy looking. Hesitantly, she walked towards it, making her way onto the porch. She pressed her hand against the cold, metal door knocker and looped her fingers around it, knocking once. Twice.

The door swung open, revealing a short, dark haired girl, who wore a sour expression. She observed Ruby for a second, folding her arms and keeping her gaze fixed on her. "Come on in," she said.

Ruby hesitated, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Uh, I don't know..."

The girl squinted. "Come in," she said, her voice growing stern. 

Ruby didn't want to argue with her. She placed one foot inside, the floor creaking. It was made up of a wine coloured carpet, which stretched across the entire floor. The place was blanketed in dust, the walls decorated with tacky wallpaper which curled at the ends. There was a long, tall staircase that led up to a second floor to the right of the room. It smelled a little odd - like some kind of an animal had died and rotted, then been drenched in perfume. A young man appeared from a corner, glancing at Ruby. He seemed nice, not too intimidating. "We have company?" he said to the girl.

She nodded. "Yep."

"Ah," he said. "Jaxon'll be happy." He extended his hand. Ruby shook it. "I'm Parker." He gestured towards the girl. "This is Kylie."

Kylie nodded at the girl, then turned around. "I'll go find Jaxon."

Ruby felt uncomfortable. Parker moved behind her, closing the door and locking it. Now she felt really uncomfortable. A man's voice boomed. "Ah, a visitor!" he exclaimed. Ruby glanced in the voice's direction, catching a glimpse at a guy who looked like he was in his twenties. He wore a wide grin, and looked quite friendly. "Come on in, darling! I'm Jaxon."