Chapter 16

Blizzard had fallen asleep on the tiny outcropping, under the moons. When she woke up to the sun the next morning, the rock was nearly entirely white from frost and ice.

Blizzard knew that the right thing to do was to fly to the Capital Territory and report where Permafrost was to the Grand Headmaster. But something in her mind was nagging her northwards.

The Diamond Caves. The Diamond Caves. Go to the Diamond Caves.

Blizzard remembered her dream from when she was in the high security prison. As she thought about it, it became clear as to who sent that dream.

'A MoonWing?' Blizzard pondered.

If a deity such as a MoonWing sent her a dream telling her to go to the Diamond Caves, then she had no right to object. Maybe she could hide out in the Diamond Caves and live the life of a runaway again.

'What if something is waiting for me there?' Blizzard asked herself as she pondered.

Blizzard heaved herself to her feet and shook off the ice that stuck to her scales. She hated the iceborn frostscales even more now that she knew what it was like to control them. She growled at her own scales, then noticed a slight pain in her snout.

Blizzard reached up and felt two scabbing claw marks on her snout. In a fuzzy flashback, she remembered how Permafrost had attacked her during his outburst. Blizzard held back a sob at the memory. Not even an hour into the reunion, and Blizzard had made an enemy of her own brother.

"Why..." Blizzard whispered before she took off again. "Okay... Focus Blizzard. Focus," Blizzard looked up and checked the sun's position, as well as the sky. There was a line of bubbles, rising from the ocean floor, that stretched across the horizon. The edge of the Water Territory.

"East. I need to head East," Blizzard concluded. She started flying again. She took the time to rethink so many life decisions she had made.

'Maybe I should've stayed on Pyrrhia,' Blizzard thought. Blizzard began to daydream about living the life of a runaway on Pyrrhia. But then she remembered that Permafrost was taken to Magisalla. Permafrost would've taken the Dark Revolt and would've have taken over Magisalla himself, then he would attack the IceWings.

'What if I became a different Elemental Master?' Blizzard asked herself. She concluded that it would've turned out the same. She would have opted to take an Ice Side Magik that would allow her to control her frostscales. She would probably still be running now even if she become an Air or Water Master.

'What if I never killed Frigid?' Blizzard wondered. Permafrost would've drowned. Something she didn't want at the time. Now, it was something that would probably have prevented such a catastrophe.

'What if...' Blizzard played the What If game with herself for hours. She passed the Water Territory and was nearing the Air Skytress, which was a giant city that floated in the air, which was home to the Air Masters. Blizzard made sure to keep the Skytress on the tip of the horizon, far away to that she wouldn't run into any dragons on her journey.

When the Skytress was gone behind the horizon, sinking into the ocean behind her, Blizzard awaited the feeling of leaving the Elemental Energy Pressure Zone that surrounded Magisalla.

Blizzard fiddled with her scarf as she flew. For some reason, the scarf gave her comfort. It carried Blizzard's tears as Blizzard felt the pressure drop. Magisalla was behind her. And there was no going back.

Blizzard wanted to roar again, but she didn't have the strength to. Her voice had long left her. Her stomach grumbled and twisted in knots of hunger. Blizzard knew she would miss the feeling and taste of fresh, non-frostbitten meat. But she would have to get used to tasteless food again.