Chapter 4: Sides Of A Coin

I woke up slowly, not knowing where I am. I shot up, instantly regretting it, I felt like I was going to be sick. 

"I'd take it easy," Robbie said, coming over and handing me a glass of water. 

I noticed my hand was in a homemade cast. "Why didn't you take me to the hospital?"

"With you not being able to afford a used, running car, I figured you couldn't afford ER bills."

"Good point," I mumbled, taking a sip of the water. 

"Your side is pretty banded up, how did you get it?" He asked, pointing.

"I told you Ghost Rider."

"Really? You saw him?"

I nodded, I couldn't tell what that emotion was that flashed in his eyes. Guilt? Worry? Fear? "I saw him twice now."

"I thought those who saw him didn't make it out."

"Well he didn't see me the first time I saw him, this time, he let me go. I don't know why... The monster killed my papa."

"So you were out looking for revenge?"

"Of course not, what would that achieve? Two wrongs don't make a right."

"Then why were you chasing him?"

"I wasn't chasing him, I was walking to work when his car slammed into a building!"

"You followed.."

"Yes, I don't know why, but that isn't the point. He was going to kill a man! And he did..."

"So what? You're trying to rescue all his soon to be victims?"

"No, I'm trying to rescue Ghost Rider himself, show him this isn't the way. There's other ways of getting Justice."

"I'm sure he's heard it all before, maybe there's another side to the coin."

"What do you mean?"

"There's always three sides of a story, his, hers, and the truth."

"You think I'm lying?"

"No, but you're just not right."

"How am I not right?! This thing can't just go around killing people he thinks deserves to die! They have families, friends who care about them. Instead of giving them a second chance, he's killing them!"

"Isn't much of a second chance spending your life in jail, if justice was served."

"Better to want to change and change in jail then never at all."

He stared me down, we both disagreed and he saw I was holding my ground. "And what if you can't change him? What if he's killed too many people?"

"It's never too late for redemption."

"So if he did, you'd forgive him?"

"Depends if he's sorry or not."

"You can't say you don't want those men back there who almost attacked you to not be punished!"

"Of course I do! But not being killed!"

"So you'd just forgive them if they ask for it?"

"Yes."

"You have a lot of faith in humans."

"You have too little."

"I guess you could say I was burned before."

"Wounds heal, but the scar stays, it just depends how you look at that scar. You could look it at it for the remainder of your life and never live, or you could look at is as I lived and learned."

"You're right, I look at is as I learned, never to do that again."

"That isn't learning, that's fear, fear of getting hurt."

"You must never have been hurt before chica."

I felt my heart flutter as he said that, his brown eyes staring into mine, reading my soul. "You're an innocent soul, pure.. One day, that'll change."

"If the Ghost Rider, the epitome of a dark soul can't change me, no one can."

I didn't noticed him wince or scowl. I didn't feel his emotions boiling over as he wondered if I was the angel who would rescue him from the devil inside of him. I didn't know that my presence had sparked hope within him, enough hope to want to see if it was possible, to turn the demon back into a man.