V - Lionel

The pilchard with the yellow dorsal fin was back. And he'd brought his mate. They nestled into my almost empty chest cavity, and frolicked in my lungs. I could feel little vibrations through my body with each bite they took. Little bits of rotten flesh seeped out of the two holes in my abdomen.

The two fish became more and more frantic, chasing each other through my body, and rubbing against the inside of my rib cage. Finally they stopped. I waited. The yellow finned pilchard swam out of my chest, and away into the darkness. It's mate punched a new hole through the sodden flesh of my lower back, and swam away in a different direction.

Everything was quiet again. I hated it.

I looked up at the sky. It was nearly dark again. I ran my eyes down the length of my leash, all the way to the lump of concrete it was attached to. And screamed.

I threw my head back and screamed like a child. Like an animal. Like a demon. No one was going to hear me. So why shouldn't I? I felt like I was on fire. I screamed again, screaming at the soundlessness.

I sulked after that, bitter, bored and twisted. Is this what happened to everyone after they died, and I just have the good fortune to be stuck fifty meters deep? Or was something else keeping me here? I'd never believed in God. Is that why I couldn't go on? I stared at the sky. What do you want with me? What? I can't do anything else. I can't do anything at all. I couldn't keep the bitterness out of my voice.

Somewhere in the darkness, someone whispered back. Hello? Are you there?

A response. I thought for a moment. God?

It laughed. Not exactly.